Hello from Waxhaw

CarolinaRoots

New User
Brett
Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself here officially. Been a member of the forum for about a year or a little more. I'm Brett and I live in Waxhaw NC. I've been a woodworker since I was a kid, my parents were woodworkers to some degree with a full workshop of tools I didn't appreciate as much as I should have. Most of my woodworking has been centered around home projects for my wife and not as much around building furniture as I would like. I have toyed with the idea of starting a YouTube channel a few times just to put out a few videos a year in hopes of helping subsidize my hobby but have yet to pull the trigger due to main job and family time commitments.

I have been very lucky and been quite the shark picking up some steal deals on used equipment over the past 10 years.
my workshop consist of an attached 2.5 car garage.
main tools
1) 1.75hp sawstop psc 52"
2) 17" 2hp grizzly bandsaw
3) 12" grizzly straight knife jointer
4) 20" helical planer
5) Delta cruzer 12" miter saw
6) Xcarve 1000mm
7) 2hp grizzly dust collector connected to a dust cyclone xl with 6" pvc main trunk.

All but the sawstop I was able to acquire used. I went back and forth if sawstop was worth the money and ultimately did go that route to do my younger boys that I hope will take interest. From a main tool standpoint I feel like I have everything I would ever want. I have a master lift in the box waiting for me to build or buy some router table for it.

Look forward to posting more and sharing future projects and seeing what others are working on. Just wish we could get back to pre pandemic wood prices lol!

Brett

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have toyed with the idea of starting a YouTube channel a few times just to put out a few videos a year in hopes of helping subsidize my hobby but have yet to pull the trigger due to main job and family time commitments.

First, welcome.

Second, to make money on YouTube I think you'd need to do an all-out blitz with plans, merch, Patreon, sponsorship, and other related endeavors to make it worth your while. That could turn into a full-time commitment of time, energy, and resources for a part-time ROI. YT itself pays a pittance. You might be better served making simple, repeatable artsy-craftsy items to sell at arts & crafts markets. I don't mean to discourage you, but YT seems saturated with WW content right now.

CarolinaRoots

New User
Brett
First, welcome.

Second, to make money on YouTube I think you'd need to do an all-out blitz with plans, merch, Patreon, sponsorship, and other related endeavors to make it worth your while. That could turn into a full-time commitment of time, energy, and resources for a part-time ROI. YT itself pays a pittance. You might be better served making simple, repeatable artsy-craftsy items to sell at arts & crafts markets. I don't mean to discourage you, but YT seems saturated with WW content right now.
I agree that there is a lot of content that exist today. I do fear making my hobby into something I felt like was work makes me hesitant. If I ever sold anything on Etsy it would be plans as some of the prices people sell things for I just couldn’t buy materials for those low of prices for a finished piece.

So for now it’s just a hobby and I think it will stay that way for now.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Brett,
We are glad you found us and look forward to vicariously watching you along you journey!

Will we see you at the Klingspor Extravaganza?

I have an idea about your YT aspirations - watch for a PM

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS