Hello from the Southern Carolina - Charlotte area

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

New User
Cheap Azz
The forum signup said to give your life's story in 42 GB words or less.
My DW and I live in Indian Land, just south of the Charlotte boarder.
I have been hiding all these years and have decided to come forth into the light.
I took shop in school, many many decades ago.
I have done stuff over the years, a circular saw was the tool. Mostly plain stuff like additions, decks etc.
I have done a few furniture projects with 90 degree angle brackets and project boards.

I did make a cherry butcher block center island table, with oak legs and oak boards on the bottom. The oak was stained a dark ebony.

We recently decided to remove the dinette booth from our LMC, Luxury Mobile Condo, RV.
The DW and I went over at least 40 different options before we decided on the project.
We took two face frame from 2 cabinets I got from lowe's for $24 each, the particle board was broken, looked they were dropped. The plan was to fix these up and put into the bathroom as quick upgrade.
I removed all the chip board from the face frames, added some 3/4 plywood and a top. The top is a project board, I did not want to band some plywood.
Needless to say there were some issues. Nothing that some Aluminum angle could not handle, or a belt sander.
The unit has a built in pull out table/work desk. and a drawer I built, ugly, but it works. Still need to finish edges and stain.

After this I decided that I needed a portable table saw, Skil TS... it is light weight fills my needs, and down the rabbit hole I go. I have ordered a Dewalt planer., trim router... Is the DW735 a good tool?

My next project is to get some stuff in the garage to act as a shop. I intended to build some drawers out of scrap particle board and pallet boards I have. I think that 8 in 16 in will work.
I also need to build a folding work bench. Space is at a premium. Car must still park also. If any one has any ideas let me know.

Once the garage is done, our panty gets redone. I am thinking a bunch of pull out drawers with a maple plywood front.

This brings me to my next question. Where in the Charlotte area can I get good wood? Not the stuff from HD or Lowe's. The wood store on Independence carries some things, all small.
I have located 2 places that are a two hr drive, one delivers to the area once a month.
My understanding is that the places like Wurth etc only will sell to a business.

I am planning a road trip to the one north of Winston Salem at some point to get some short bundles, I want to try my hand at some cutting boards.

The long term plan is once I retire to do some cheap cabinets, etc to keep me out of trouble.

I think that I am reaching my word limit for now and I have rambled on enough.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome! (Didn't catch a name...)
We are glad you found us and hope you get out of NCWW what you want and are able to contribute what you can.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome.
Klingspor in Winston has a good assortment of wood and tons of tools.
GPS hardwoods is South of Winston and has great wood at good prices.
Sorry I don't know others in your area.
Here is a list of most of the wood stores in NC.

Yes, DW735 is a great planer.

For a space challenged shop put everything on casters, try to make things multi-use like workbench/outfeed table.
Get things off the floor and up on the walls.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello, Cheap Azz! Welcome to the best forum around. I gather from what you said is that you have a 1-car garage, is this correct?

Lhloy

New User
Larry
For many years I used a Shopsmith MkV and a B&D Workmate in one end of a one car garage, and still think that's the most bang for the buck for a miniature workshop. Of course I still had to temporarily move the car out for a lot of operations, but it it was easy to do. And the lessons I learned along the way helped me make good choices in what I have today, a consistently cluttered but reasonably equipped basement shop.

Bill J

Bill
User
Scrounger's Paradise in Asheville has some hardwood. Not too far from Charlotte.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the group. I am in Union County, NC, not far away.
I used to buy wood at Wurth but not anymore. I had an account with them three times. I generally bought a good amount at a time but it might be 3 months or more between shopping depending on my schedule. If you don't order more regularly they delete your account and you have to start over. So the last time we went they basically said either open an account again or so long. They said they are only going to cater to their larger customers. What is the name of the outfit that delivers every other month?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome to the board.

You might check out these...https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?resources/sawmill-services.22/

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome you will like it here. DW735 is the best you can get before really spending money on a planer
:)

Colin Helms

Colin
User
Welcome to the group. You might want to check out A&M Supply, 3300 Woodpark Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28206, 704-598-7272. They have a limited supply of hard wood, I've picked up a bunch of lumber and plywood from them over many years. Give them a try. I live in S. Charlotte, love to get up with you in the near future.

Colin

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

New User
Cheap Azz
Welcome to the group. I am in Union County, NC, not far away.
I used to buy wood at Wurth but not anymore. I had an account with them three times. I generally bought a good amount at a time but it might be 3 months or more between shopping depending on my schedule. If you don't order more regularly they delete your account and you have to start over. So the last time we went they basically said either open an account again or so long. They said they are only going to cater to their larger customers. What is the name of the outfit that delivers every other month?
hardwood store in Gibsonville. $79, almost the same price as Lowes and HD.

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

New User
Cheap Azz
Welcome to the group. You might want to check out A&M Supply, 3300 Woodpark Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28206, 704-598-7272. They have a limited supply of hard wood, I've picked up a bunch of lumber and plywood from them over many years. Give them a try. I live in S. Charlotte, love to get up with you in the near future.

Colin
did you ever get any baltic birch.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
With just about a half-car space allocated, you will need to mobilize everything (think locking casters). If the workbench is going to be the main item; consider mounting it on a wall so that it folds up out of the way - thus freeing up more space for tools!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS