Hello from the High Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
My name is Larry and I live in Banner Elk, about 15 miles from Boone, in Watauga County. I am a novice in fine word working although I’ve done some carpentry. I moved here about 3 years ago, and beginning earlier this year, I started converting my basement into a workshop. My plans are to quit my current job, collect Social Security, get a part time job at Lowe’s, and build Shaker Furniture replicas to sell locally in arts and crafts shows or anywhere else I can find a large number of tourists. I started a small business called Sublime Wood, LLC and haven’t made a nickel to date. So far I’ve completed one small bench that I traded with the lady up the road for a year’s worth of haircuts. My workshop is in the "finishing stages." I still have to complete the electrical wiring and cover up the insulation in the ceiling, but I’m having more fun making sawdust and experimenting with different methods of joint making. I’ve built quite a few cabinets and a workbench that I’m particularly proud of. I’m self taught, learning from books and magazines. If anyone is interested in what I was doing for the previous 62 years of my life, I’d be happy to share, but it would be pretty boring to everybody but me. I hope to learn from the combined experience of the members on this site and perhaps make some new friends who share a common interest.

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
hi larry, welcome to the site, lots of friendly folks here. you're in good company up in banner elk, check out www.davidfinck.com. good luck with the new business.

phillip

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Welcome to the board and have fun. If you have any pictures of the projects you mentioned please post them as I'm sure folks(including me) will love to see them.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Larry, we are glad to have you here. Your plan sound great to me, I wish I was at a point in my life where I could consider that. I would enjoy seeing your workbench, I am alway interested in seeing how people have built theirs, I hope to make one worthy of posting someday. I look forward to your input around here. Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Welcome,

We are always looking for fresh ideas. Great bunch of guys and gals here. It will be worth your time to visit often.

MIke

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Welcome Larry, good luck on the business. I'm sure you'll have fun with it and learn a lot in the process.

Steve D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS