Hello from Burlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry C

New User
Jerry
This is Jerry C in Burlington. I signed up about a month ago after a trip to see Scott Smith in New Hill. Scott convinced me to sign up while he educated me about his operation. I left 3 small Holly logs with Scott to cut and dry. I am anxious to see how the holly comes out after drying.

I have viewed the site for a long time and I know what a good group this is. I am a seasoned retiree woodworker. I do a little bit of turning, box making, small furniture, restoration/ refinishing, and any project to learn new skills. I look forward to being a member and learning more from all of you.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Welcome to the forum.

I see you have a duplicate post started.

Red

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... I left 3 small Holly logs with Scott to cut and dry.

Jerry - Given the capacity of what Scott's operation can handle (I have only seen pictures), most logs are 'small.' Even massive Holly logs would likely be easily handled there.

How did you get your hands on small holly logs? I would love to get my hands on enough Holly to consider having it milled.

Your description of your WWing sounds much like mine - I often choose a project to force me to learn a new skill. My problem is that I just don't get enough repetition of it to gain real familiarity and ingrain the skill.
For example about 7 years ago I made an ice cream scoop (wood handle, metal parts from a kit). I decided to try another one this year; somehow I managed to have the exterior of the handle 'turn' out great, but have the hole for the metal scoop part start off just a bit off center, and then go even more off-center deeper in. Hmmm I wonder how as a novice turner 7 years ago I could make two scoops that worked so well, and now as a much more experienced turner (though no more experience boring 1.5" deep holes in a spindle part), screw this one up just enough that I could not get the metal scoop to seat properly?

Anyways - welcome aboard. Let us know how that Holly works out, and what you are going to do with it.

Henry

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our little spot on the web Jerry, glad to have you with us.

I closed the other thread to prevent responses from being in different locations. There is supposed to be a way to merge the threads together and because I am not sure how, I do not want to try it and possibly make matters more complicated. Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation and ask any question.

We like pictures and here are 2 links that will help show how to upload and post them.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...e-to-your-post

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...t-on-this-site

Jerry C

New User
Jerry
Henry, the holly came from my uncle in SC. He had tree damage from a storm and had yard trees taken down. I asked him to save me a few bowl blanks but when I went to see him I found he saved the whole tree in four sections. The loggers were gone so I had to take the wood away. On a whim I decided to take it to Scott's since holly is fairly rare. My first trip down I brought back three logs and carried the wood to Scott. On my last trip I picked up the fourth log....5.5 feet by 13 inches diameter. Not sure what to do with it....bowlblanks....Slabs?

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Jerry. You got started on the right foot Talking with Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS