Hello from Asheville!

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Hello everyone. Been lurking around this forum for months. Started in March of 2021 with a few Craftsman tools and built a couple of sawhorses with some Home Depot 2x4s. Was looking forward to sharing my new hobby with my father in Arizona. Unfortunately, he unexpectedly passed away a few days later before I had a chance to share. Threw me for a loop, as nobody is ever really prepared to lose a loved one. I channeled my grief into diving headfirst into buying tools, setting up a small garage shop, and learning how to make things out of wood. One of the many tools my dad left behind was an old mechanic's toolbox with his name painted on the door that he purchased years before marrying my mom. It is the red toolbox in the photos below. It is close to 60 years old!

Thanks to Klingspor and the second hand market on CL and FB, I was able to equip my shop somewhat properly. While I am now proficient at acquiring woodworking tools, I am a novice at using them. But, I entered this hobby knowingly for the long run, so I will climb the learning curve at an enjoyable pace. It is great therapy from spending my working days in front of multiple computer screens and a keyboard!

View attachment 211354View attachment 211355
Welcome Rich. That shop will do you in good stead for quite awhile. Ask lots of questions and your learning curve will be flattened a bit. As you apply new knowledge in your shop always remember to stay safe! If something doesn't feel safe to do rethink it until it does, then go ahead.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Nice to see someone close by. Nice looking shop. Sure puts mine to shame. Mainly do blacksmithing and knifemaking here, but only as a hobby. Some wood turning, but only been doing that this past year. See the other fellow, Mr. Lewis is even closer. In Barnardsville here.

Boomvader

Rich
Senior User
Welcome Rich. That shop will do you in good stead for quite awhile. Ask lots of questions and your learning curve will be flattened a bit. As you apply new knowledge in your shop always remember to stay safe! If something doesn't feel safe to do rethink it until it does, then go ahead.
Thank you, Ray. That is some great advice!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS