Hello from Asheville!

Boomvader

Rich
Senior User
Hello everyone. Been lurking around this forum for months. Started in March of 2021 with a few Craftsman tools and built a couple of sawhorses with some Home Depot 2x4s. Was looking forward to sharing my new hobby with my father in Arizona. Unfortunately, he unexpectedly passed away a few days later before I had a chance to share. Threw me for a loop, as nobody is ever really prepared to lose a loved one. I channeled my grief into diving headfirst into buying tools, setting up a small garage shop, and learning how to make things out of wood. One of the many tools my dad left behind was an old mechanic's toolbox with his name painted on the door that he purchased years before marrying my mom. It is the red toolbox in the photos below. It is close to 60 years old!

Thanks to Klingspor and the second hand market on CL and FB, I was able to equip my shop somewhat properly. While I am now proficient at acquiring woodworking tools, I am a novice at using them. But, I entered this hobby knowingly for the long run, so I will climb the learning curve at an enjoyable pace. It is great therapy from spending my working days in front of multiple computer screens and a keyboard!

tempImageOYuxHb.png
tempImagegbMMva.png

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome Rich. Sorry about your dad, A lot of people have lost loved ones in these last two years and it is always difficult. It's good to direct your energy into something challenging and rewarding.
Your shop is well on the way and you have found a great resource in Klingspor. There are some great woodworker in and around Asheville. I'm sure you will find some helpful mentoring there.

Many of us work with computers and enjoy the satisfaction of creating something we can see and touch.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome to the Forum , Rich ! - glad you found us. You have a great set up already. Our group is really helpful, do not hesitate to ask questions. All questions are good questions.... Welcome !

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Welcome! Looks like you're well on your way with the tools and garage shop. Very clean too! I also have an old tool box that was my father's. A carry around. Not the big one like yours. Great sentimental value and will be passed along in my family someday.

Boomvader

Rich
Senior User
Guys, thank you so much for the warm welcome! I'd like to think my dad is watching proudly from above. I also hope I have provided some laughs as he watches me fumble through the learning process!

gtrboy77

Dean
User
Hi Rich, welcome to the group. I’m not too far from you. I live in the Spartanburg area. I get up to Asheville every once in a while. Pretty interesting town too; there’s lots of different artisans in Asheville.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum, Rich. I'm close to you as well, from Hendersonville, and I'm a long-time forum member. If you are interested, I am also President of the Western NC Woodworkers Association and I invite you to our next meeting on July 9th at the Trinity View Retirement Community (2533 Hendersonville Rd in Arden), starting at 9:30 AM. We meet on the second Saturday of each month and have close to 70 members from the area. This month's topic is on sawmills and loca sources of lumber. Hope to see you there and welcome again to this forum.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Rich,
We are glad you found us. Sorry about your Dad, but as Pappy said, I am sure he is looking down and enjoying your journey.
It is great that you see the value of being a member rather than simply lurking (as many of us do before posting the "hello" message.)
I tell everyone you get out of NCWW what you put into it.
Ask a question, you will likely get multiple answers from people who have done what you are asking about IRL... not "I saw it on YouTube! LOL
Answer a question, you have some experience, maybe it is as simple as what NOT to do - this reinforces what you learned and engages you with the community...
Finally, there are a LOT of willing "Teachers" here who will help you and some you can pay for a more "classroom" or "thought-out" process or project(s)

Hopefully we see you at the Klingspor Extravaganza?!
1656602903931.png

Don Lewis

New User
Don
Hello everyone. Been lurking around this forum for months. Started in March of 2021 with a few Craftsman tools and built a couple of sawhorses with some Home Depot 2x4s. Was looking forward to sharing my new hobby with my father in Arizona. Unfortunately, he unexpectedly passed away a few days later before I had a chance to share. Threw me for a loop, as nobody is ever really prepared to lose a loved one. I channeled my grief into diving headfirst into buying tools, setting up a small garage shop, and learning how to make things out of wood. One of the many tools my dad left behind was an old mechanic's toolbox with his name painted on the door that he purchased years before marrying my mom. It is the red toolbox in the photos below. It is close to 60 years old!

Thanks to Klingspor and the second hand market on CL and FB, I was able to equip my shop somewhat properly. While I am now proficient at acquiring woodworking tools, I am a novice at using them. But, I entered this hobby knowingly for the long run, so I will climb the learning curve at an enjoyable pace. It is great therapy from spending my working days in front of multiple computer screens and a keyboard!

View attachment 211354View attachment 211355
Howdy
I’m Don Lewis.
I live just off New Stock Road.
I build large toys and furniture, turn bowls, and mainly just enjoy my great basement shop.
Glad to find someone nearby.
donnybob1949@gmail

Attachments

• D284128F-0816-4AF6-A905-3571CEF398ED.jpeg
    D284128F-0816-4AF6-A905-3571CEF398ED.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 70

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors