Hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Hi there. I'm a new member and a new woodworker. About 6 months ago I needed to build a bench to do some reloading, and found I really enjoyed the experience. Since then I have made some outdoor furniture like tables and chairs and some shop furniture and cabinetry. I want to eventually graduate to nice interior furniture, and in the meantime I'm building out my shop.

Originally I was using all power hand tools and I didn't have much space. At this point I have taken over 2/3's of my 2 car garage and I have a drill press and guided circular saw system. I plan to buy a bandsaw, planer, and probably a jointer this year.

I'm very glad I was directed to this site; it seems like a great place :)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Pete,

It looks like yuo're getting a bad case of WGD also known as wood guy disease. It's when your garage/shop starts getting taken over by more and more tools and machines. There is no known cure for it, but the good news is that there are alot of enablers here to keep you habit going:lol:.
Feel free to start or join any posts, we are a friendly bunch.

Once again Welcome.

Jimmy:)

JohnW

New User
John
Welcome Pete, Plenty of good advice found here....I think??? :eusa_thin

At least it "sounds" like good advice to me.

John W

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Pete! Welcome! This is truly a great place and the folks here are incredible. Lots of talent and everyone is ready to help each other out.

It sounds like you are sinking very quickly into the abyss :rolf: I predict that you will be selling some reloading equipment soon and buying a big table saw :eusa_doh:

A few things you should know about this site:
1. It is the BEST woodworking site on the net
2. It is the BEST community of folks you will find anywhere
3. We love to see pictures. As they say around here, "no pictures means it didn't happen!"

So visit often, ask questions, and POST PICTURES!!! :lol:

Seriously, good to have you here! I'm in Charlotte and if you ever want to visit my shop just shout, I'd be happy to show you around!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Pete! Glad you've gotten the sawdust bug and our forum. Lots of good folks here with more good answers and no criticisms at all. We'll ask you to post pictures of your shop and projects as you progress ('cause around here, "no pics, it didn't happen"). Uploading to a photo gallery is fairly easy. And be sure to check out our Link and Download Libraries for even more info. Again, welcome to the sawdust pile!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Pete,

Welcome! We're always happy to welcome another woodworker. Like some of the others said... we love photos... projects complete, projects in progress, raw lumber, shops, tools, and the stray dog that hangs out at your shop and eats sawdust.

Ray

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Pete, welcome! You may have gotten the subliminal message we like pictures about pictures a few times post pictures.
Good to see you're infected don't forget the pictures with WGD - gotta have tools!

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Wow this really is a friendly place. :) For some reason I get the feeling you guys like pictures, so I will show you some of my work area.

My house's last owner had put up some shelving in my garage/shop. I wanted some place to write but I kept losing my paper. So I bought a blackboard and a couple of aluminum rails. I installed some cam clamps so I can slide it on the rails and then quickly clamp down or release, and I installed a couple of swiveling blocks on the bottom as a safety. The rails allow me to access the shelves behind the board easily. The board I got is magnetic also so I can stick notes to it and stuff.
projects0108004resized.jpg

Here's the lumber cart I built recently:
projects0108002resized.jpg

projects0108001resized.jpg

Here's my guided circular saw stuff. I put it on a cabinet for extra storage. The top parts are replaceable; I can put different sizes and slide them back and forth for support.
PBB026resized.jpg

PBB018resized.jpg

PBB011resized.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great lumber cart, and the cabinet looks awesome - lots of room for tools to get lost in! I like the blackboard idea, that is so much better than trying to find my list of (inaccurate) measurements underneath the pile of clamps, screwdrivers and rags. If only I had a free wall.

I'm looking at the guided circular saw setup, and I'm thinking...what if you mounted the circular saw in the cabinet (upside down of course)! And made the top out of cast iron instead of wood. And then put one of the guides parallel to the blade....
Someone should make something like that!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Pete - welcome to the site! As I'm sure you already know, this is a GREAT place.

Thanks for the pix - those are a great way to break the ice! Your organization is impressive - makes me want to remodel my woodshop!

Scott

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hi Pete and welcome to NCWWer :icon_thum
That is a fine looking cabinet/circular saw setup up . . . very creative!

Looking forward to your input,
Roger

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group Pete! Great looking pics!. Where'd you get that wood cart plan... I want one jus' like that :eusa_clap.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Pete, I am glad you could join us. Thanks for the pictures and the innovative ideas. I look forward to your input in the forums.
Dave:)

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

woodArtz, I have plans for the cart that I mostly followed in pictures photographed from a book. If you want them let me know and I can email them to you. Be warned though, there are 8 pages and each is 2MB.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
At this point I have taken over 2/3's of my 2 car garage and I have a drill press and guided circular saw system. I plan to buy a bandsaw, planer, and probably a jointer this year.

Only 2/3? Is your wife still parking in your shop? You need more tools and a BIG project that takes over the ENTIRE space for several months so she gets used to doing without! :icon_thum

Anyway, welcome. Have fun hanging out.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Hahaha :) The remaining 1/3 is basically an aisle which tends to be a dumping ground for boxes and tricycles and wagons, and also has a refrigerator. It would be tough to take over that last bit. I'm working around it though :)

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Well, the 'fridge should stay, but that rest of that stuff sounds superfluous. I think I found your 'take over' project! An outdoor garage for the tricycles and wagons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS