Heirlooms without a destiny

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
These are pieces hand made by my father in the early 60’s when he was still alive. Mostly Imbuia and some Pau Marfin. No veneer, no ply, all solid wood construction, finish is mineral oil and wax.

They are located 13,000 miles from here in South Africa, in my brother’s home. He is moving into assisted living, so these pieces will have to find new homes.

There is no interest in these kind of goods in the new South Africa, so they are not worth much.

My dad was a master craftsman, descending from generations going back to 1741. He was however not the kind of person who published books or promoted his skills, or pursued fame, therefore remains pretty much unknown.

The styles are Cape Dutch, emanating from the early settlers, with German, French and Dutch influence.

Personally I have a house full of furniture built with the skills he taught me. So the dilemma remains what to do with these goods?

BCD35B55-0119-46A2-92C9-2DFC29E8ECF2.jpeg
CB6B0A9F-48CC-41F5-A8AC-0563CE7413CE.jpeg
C03C6380-F024-4CE1-80D7-85F8054FB6DC.jpeg
AB58564A-A813-4BB1-B917-B84370CA94B6.jpeg
N
31AF9226-D433-4944-8342-96DEE003D7AE.jpeg

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Your father was an incredible craftsman! I agree that it is too bad that today's generation does not recognize the beauty and creativity in such work... Perhaps they should be placed in a museum collection.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
VERY interested. Researching best way to get them here now
Phil, I have a few pieces he made in my home, shipped in a container ocean freight about 18 years ago. I can't remember the exact costs, but they arrived fine, are built for several lifetimes and survived the journey without incident. These are heavy pieces, due to the solid lumber. I don't think it cost me much more than around $2,500 to get them here back then.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
All those pieces are things of such beauty--they belong in a museum! Good luck with your research on the shipping Phil!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Willem your dad was an awesome craftsman. You are extremely fortunate to have been taught by him.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
That is just some INCREDIBLE craftsmanship. They should stay in your family but others on this site get them, they will definitely have a new home that appreciates them.
Did you and your brother inherit a lot of his abilities? I certainly hope so.
Lecil

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Willem, it's a shame your Dad wasn't a craftsman in the southern U.S. Those pieces would fit right in at MESDA. Did he copy an existing design or did he design everything himself? It is truly beautiful work.

Phil, good luck on your efforts to bring them here. If you are able to get them here, and we ever get out from under these Coronavirus restrictions, would you consider a tour so the rest of us can come see them up close and personal?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Willem, absolutely stunning craftsmanship; these pieces are priceless. If these were part of my family's heritage, I would move heaven and earth to get them here! I recall seeing some of your Dad's work during a workshop at your house, as I recall they were of the same vintage...awesome!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Willem, it's a shame your Dad wasn't a craftsman in the southern U.S. Those pieces would fit right in at MESDA. Did he copy an existing design or did he design everything himself? It is truly beautiful work.

Phil, good luck on your efforts to bring them here. If you are able to get them here, and we ever get out from under these Coronavirus restrictions, would you consider a tour so the rest of us can come see them up close and personal?

I feel quite good that we are going to figure out a way to give them a new home in the US. Yes I will absolutely host a tour and yes we will get out from under this Covid19. Wear your mask, keep your distance and we will win.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member

The style is based on Cape Dutch architecture, but everything he did were his own designs. He had an interesting workshop. His table saw, bandsaw, shaper and lathe were built by himself. He made all his own shaper cutters. In those times bandsaw blades were only carbon steel. He built a machine to automatically sharpen all his bandsaw blades.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS