Heavy duty jig saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
OK, I was asking about a better grade of benchtop bandsaw and a reference to using a Festool jigsaw with a 4" blade for cutting blanks was made in one post. This sent me off in another direction, hence this thread. A quick search shows that a few models in the $150+ range claim to cut wood up to 5". How reasonable an alternative is this?

The most common cut that I wish the little benchtop bandsaw did better is cutting the points off split wedges. For example, lets say I split a 12" diameter log 2' long into quarters and then I want to make it roughly square. I will accept the arc on the outer surface as one side, but I want to cut off the 3 points at about 2" thickness. it's okay if those cuts each take a minute or 2, but it is not okay if they take 5 each. I would worry about tool life in addition to arm fatigue.

Anyway, if you think it is reasonable, advice on brands, blade, etc is welcome.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have an older Bosch jig saw, and I can't say that I would put a 5" blade in it. Way too long for my liking. Mine does do pretty well on keeping the blade straight except on curved cuts.

As for the Festool, it takes the same blades as the Bosch will, but I have no knowledge as to whether it is better or not.

M

McRabbet

For rough cutting of a big blank like you are describing, I would think that a demolition saw (Skil and Milwaukee) would do the trick. I have a Skil corded model that I have an 8" blade for that will cut about anything.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
For rough cutting of a big blank like you are describing, I would think that a demolition saw (Skil and Milwaukee) would do the trick. I have a Skil corded model that I have an 8" blade for that will cut about anything.

Andy,

I would second Rob's suggestion. I have a Ridgid demolition saw that I have equipped with a long (6 inch I believe) wood cutting blade and trimmed tree limbs with it. Accurate is not, though!:elvis:

As far as a jig saw is concerned, I would go for the Bosch. I have a barrel grip and it is nice to use, well balanced and plenty of power.

Wayne

CarvedTones

Andy
That Bosch is looking really good to me. It might bump the bowl chuck out of the "Pole" (as in North :) ) position on my wish list. I believe you about the demolition saw being better at this, but I would have more use for a really good jig saw.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Another vote for the Bosch. :icon_thum It's the best, easiest cutting jig saw I've ever owned and used. Course, I ain't a pro! :nah:

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I love my new Festool! I have a Porter-Cable jig saw too, but I dropped it once and bent the base. I know I could have replaced the base but I LOVE NEW TOOLS.:gar-Bi

CarvedTones

Andy
A quick follow up...

The CPO folks (link above) were out of the refurb and Amazon has it lower than them new - $162 with free shipping. Of course, once you add the circle/edge guide and the blades it creeps up into the 180s, but still a good deal (I hope; I have never paid near this much for a jig saw before). It is ordered, but the gloat is still over a month away as it will get wrapped when it arrives...

EDIT - No sooner did I post this than I got the notification that it shipped. :banana:
So Amazon really does have them (or they had at least one :gar-Bi).

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I have the Bosch 1590EVSK and it is RATED at 5" in wood. However, I have a fairly complete collection (say 40-50 blade styles) of Bosch jigsaw blades (T-shank), and my longest (and most agrressive) blade only has a cut length of around 4" if memory serves me (I'm 600 miles from home at the moment).

However, whether you can actually cut something of that thickness depends heavily on the material, I managed to destroy a few perfectly good Bosch blades trying to cut through 2" of sandwiched plywood and MDF. The blade, despite being a very aggressive cut, was overheating to the point that it was actually making a serious barrel cut rather than a straight vertical cut. Probably wouldn't have been an issue in solid wood, but I had to break down and fetch my circular saw to fix the mess I created with it!

However, that one caveat aside, I LOVE my Bosch jigsaw. It is a real joy to use. After having used other [cheaper] jigsaws, my Bosch jigsaw literally brings a smile to my face each and every time I break it out.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
The blade, despite being a very aggressive cut, was overheating to the point that it was actually making a serious barrel cut rather than a straight vertical cut.

Just a thought - when us Scrollers are cutting our cuts on the scroll saw sometimes we put clear packing tape on top of the cutting to help keep the blade cool - do you think that this would help in this application :icon_scra

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Just a thought - when us Scrollers are cutting our cuts on the scroll saw sometimes we put clear packing tape on top of the cutting to help keep the blade cool - do you think that this would help in this application :icon_scra
Now that's interesting Phillip. I'll definitely use this tip, how the heck does packing tape help keep the blade cooler?

CarvedTones

Andy
Now that's interesting Phillip. I'll definitely use this tip, how the heck does packing tape help keep the blade cooler?

Ken,

I am not Phillip, but I know this. It is being melted as you go, which seems like it would be bad, but it lubricates and cools. It has to be the clear packing tape.

Ed,

What I hope to do as one of it's primary uses is mentioned earlier - cutting the points off of split logs to square up spindle blanks. I also hope to be able to use the circle cutting jig on half logs that are maybe 4" at their thickest to cut bowl blanks.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Pay attention to the lateral blade guides on that saw. I overheated one of my long blades and it bent because the guides were too tight and I had the speed too high. Needs to be just a hair loose with the big blades.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The first blade overheated when the stabilizers were engaged (accidentally, hadn't intended to)... The second blade overheated from the cut itself (MDF and plywood being fairly hard). Speed setting for both cuts was between 1&2, so can't go much slower.

I have a chronic illness that leaves me physically limited, so excessive speed is seldom a problem for me! Moving too slowly, on the other hand, I may be accused of from time to time ;-)

The simple answer is that it wasn't the right tool for the job. I opted for a jigsaw because there was a chance at hitting hidden brads that held the layers in place while the glue setup. I didn't want to have to risk a circular saw blade, so I opted to risk a less expensive jigsaw blade. Usually that tradeoff works out fairly well when I don't want to risk a circular saw -- just not for this cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS