Heating your shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSuther

New User
Stan
My shop is around 14x20, lap siding with a bit of daylight showing through, open rafters. Don't want to insulate it because it was my grandfather's/father's before me and the nostalgia factor has me over a barrell. I use either a twin tube electric quartz heater just to know the chill off, or a 10,000 btu radiant kerosene heater when it is colder. With the kerosene heater, I place a fan behind and above it to help circulate the heat. I have far less problems with rust than I did when I was working out of my garage. I keep stationary tool tables waxed and occasionally wax my planes and stuff. I keep a rust eraser handy to touch up the ones I have not used frequently that may get a bit of rust here or there.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My shop is similar to Fred's - 24x36 with two stories (technically story and a half).

I am in the process of installing a through-the-wall heat-cool AC unit. 22K BTU AC, 18K BTU heating.

I opted for this unit since it has some smarts about maintaining set temperature - multiple fan speeds and oscillators - , plus a good long 5 year warranty. And a remote control.

My big concerns are cooling in the summer, plus being able to de-humidify in the winter when we get those occasional monsoons rolling in :eusa_doh:

-Mark

Shayne

New User
Shayne
My shop is part of garage where I also park two cars, it's about 30x20. The walls are exterior walls with no insulation, however they were finished (sheetrocked and painted). I am thinking that insulation would be a big benefit but I don't want to tear down any sheetrock. I read about drilling holes and blowing insulation in the walls. Anyone ever does this and have any advice? I also do not have insulated garage doors and was wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks in advance

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I read about drilling holes and blowing insulation in the walls. Anyone ever does this and have any advice? I also do not have insulated garage doors and was wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Shayne, that is the way my parents house was insulated. It was a late 1800's farm house which was essentially uninsulated until 1983???? I think there may have been the equivalent of R-13 in the attic. The crew pulled up and started cutting holes in the exterior siding, and blew cellulose insulation through the holes. something you could do now, with equipment rented from the BORG, in a day, easy.

you can also insulate your garage doors, and then box them to furthur reduce heat loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS