Heating my shed this winter

FlyingRon

Ron
I about gave up on woodworking in my garage shop in the winter because the kerosene heater gave me such a headache.

Definitely do want insulation. It helps both in the winter and summer. A minisplit would make things very comfortable year round.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I just installed a DIY Mr Cool 24,000 BTU mini split heat pump in my 20 x 30 shop. can't believe how cold it is and how quiet both inside and out. It also does a great job of dehumidification. I ran the heat cycle as a test and it ran me out of the shop. Couldn't be happier and it was simple to install. Everything comes pre-charged with freon. 1700 from Lowes

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Cant insulate the ceiling with its current design so doing the walls is a waste. Also the extra cost and having to tear out sheetrock would be even more money. Its only getting heated while its in use which is maybe a couple hours a day.
You can Always insulate, just depends on how much hassle it will be and the cost.

@zapdafish Any burning heating system will create carbon monoxide. But, because the shop building and dust collection system cause fresh air intake and cycle air out of the room the risk is really low for CO. The risk is in a tight building and people going to bed and leaving it on all night.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One can get sealed gas/oil heaters that bring combustion air and exhaust through the wall, so no fumes or backdraft.
I suspect Bill0066 solved his problem three years ago.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I am in the same situation as you. I have looked at these mini splits several times but I don't know it can keep up with no insulation in the ceiling. I have 3 of these spread around my shop. They work great, but heat is really around the heater. So I tired to spread them out to cover the most area. But I do have cold spots as you get away from the heaters.

Watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! massive electric bills. I have one in my second shed had to turn it off 16x20 not insulated 300 a month! my house is 2600 sq ft 350

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! massive electric bills. I have one in my second shed had to turn it off 16x20 not insulated 300 a month! my house is 2600 sq ft 350
Mine is 12x24 and not insulated. Run them maybe an hour or so 2-3 times a week at night and maybe 4-6 hours on the weekend. Never seen an uptick in the power bills. My house is about 2200sqft and runs about $150-$200 per month. But I also have solar panels that gets me negative kilowatt hours to deduct as well.

Billm0066

Bill
User
One can get sealed gas/oil heaters that bring combustion air and exhaust through the wall, so no fumes or backdraft.
I suspect Bill0066 solved his problem three years ago.
Yes I just run a propane heater to heat it up when needed. Not worth insulating, adding electric, adding a mini split for the short time im in there.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS