Heater for garage/shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have been thinking for a year about putting a heater in my garage to take the bite out of the winter. In Dec I saw a "good deal" on a 5600w heater. It was somewhat of an impulse buy...

For those of you that don't regularly think about watts that is ~23A @240v. After thinking about it I know why it was such a "good deal". Why would someone want to buy a 23A 240v heater?! Breaking 20A moves you into the 10ga wire world. And if you need a 30A circuit anyway why stop at 23A?!?

In hindsight I should have bought one that runs on a 20A circuit and saved some headache. It would have been very convenient for me seeing as I already have 3 20A 220v circuits/receptacles in my garage. Oh well, I decided to make it work :).

Pulling 10ga romex is NOT fun. That stuff does not bend. I wimped out and just put the jack a couple feet above my breaker box:

69CG8949.JPG

View image in gallery

On the positive side it works pretty darn good. But the garage is poorly insulated and I paid so little for the heater that I don't really trust it for unattended operation :). So I won't use it all the time. Just an hour before I want to work in the garage or to help a finish dry.

All that is left is to make some sort of hanging bracket and insulate the garage doors (insulation kit is in the mail: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3025310&catalogId=10051).

Edit: I got it hung tonight using a simple 3.50$ bracket. Now all that is left is some insulation for the garage door.

Stay safe!
Salem

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Salem,

Nice post!

If you dont mind me asking.....how much for the heater?

Sold my Mr Buddy today, and want to replace with similar unit.

I see one on Amazon For @ $120 free ship / no tax.

TIA

BTW. nice job@! How well does it work?

M

eyekode

New User
Salem
I only paid ~100$. It works great but after being in your garage and seeing how little power you were using I think it is probably overkill.

Another thing I would do differently is get one that is made to hang. Mine really isn't so I will have to improvise.

Note to install the thing (because it is 30A) is probably 35$ just in supplies.

Salem

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Nice Job, Salem~!

It sure is nice to keep the chill off. I found a 30,000 btu Natural gas Radiant heater on craigslist here in Utah for $30. It was a super buy even though it was a 1995 model. The thing that got me, is I was working in the shop for about 5 hours one day plus a few hours here and there throughout the month and where my NG bill is normally $18 well after that month it was $71....Ouch I said.

So please let us know what your electricity bill is next month or the month after that, if it's cheaper to go with electric, I do that.

Thanks again and thanks for sharing~!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Salem,

Good practice is to design so that the maximum circuit load is about 80% of the breaker rating. Your 23 amps is good! Enjoy the warmth.

bobby g

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I only paid ~100$. It works great but after being in your garage and seeing how little power you were using I think it is probably overkill.

Another thing I would do differently is get one that is made to hang. Mine really isn't so I will have to improvise.

Note to install the thing (because it is 30A) is probably 35$ just in supplies.

Salem

Salem:

Little power equates to 'long runway' time to get warm.

Hanging would be a good option,

Not well versed "electrically" speaking, whats the max wattage to stay in the 20amp circuit range?

TIA

Matt

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Salem,

Good practice is to design so that the maximum circuit load is about 80% of the breaker rating. Your 23 amps is good! Enjoy the warmth.

bobby g
Not only is it good practice to design for 80% of circuit capacity, it's Code. Most manufacturers know this when making these units. It isn't too extraordinary to have a 30 amp circuit put in. The next step up would be 40 amp (32 amp heater, ~7.5kw), bigger wire, more power consumption.
At $.06/kwh, your heater wold be costing ~$.33/hr. Don't forget to switch it off when you leave the shop or it'll drain your bank account. :gar-Bi

eyekode

New User
Salem
Per btu I think NG is cheaper than electricity in probably all locales in the US. I would say go for more insulation!
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
That link did not work for me. But if memory serves the 4000w units are good on 20A 220v.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
I would not buy that one. It has the handle like mine. I would buy one like the Dayton that has a handle made to hang (and tilt!).
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
By the way if you go with one that requires 20a and you want to use conduit I have a bunch of THHN 12g. I also have a fair amount of 12g romex I won't be using.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
I don't have much bench space. And if I hang it I can be sure that there is ample clearance. On the bench may work for u.
Salem

bholcombe

New User
Ben
I think the only difference between the 4000W and the 5600W version is the heating element. I believe the cord and plug are identical. While the 4000W should run on a 20 amp line, they use a 30 amp type plug. So mine at least for the time being is within a few feet of my breaker box as well, at least until I get around to changing the cord.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member

Not well versed "electrically" speaking, whats the max wattage to stay in the 20amp circuit range?

TIA

Matt

Amps x Volts = Watts

Therefore: 120v x 20 amps = 2400 watts x 80% = 1920 watts.

or: 220v x 20 amps = 4400 watts x 80% = 3520 watts.

1000 watts = 1 kw, so multiply that by the cost of your electricity per kWhr and you can figure how many hours you can run heat before going to the bank for a loan.

HTHs

Go

As you can tell, I am in full agreement with Bob and Dennis on the 80% design rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS