Heat resistant finish for rifle stocks

ComblocCustoms

New User
John
Hi, I am interested in finding a high heat resistant finish for rifle stocks. I need a finish that can withstand the heat of a hot rifle barrel.

This finish will be used as a either a clear coat or tinted top coat, on rifle stocks that have had the wood stained.

Does anyone here have experience with this type of finish?

Thank you,
John.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The wood itself can only withstand so much temperature so there will be a limit. But oil borne polyurethane is cited as having high heat resistance. Alkyd varnish, conversion varnish, and phenolic varnish are also recommended for high heat applications. If you google something like "finish for a trivet" you will find information.

ComblocCustoms

New User
John
The wood itself can only withstand so much temperature so there will be a limit. But oil borne polyurethane is cited as having high heat resistance. Alkyd varnish, conversion varnish, and phenolic varnish are also recommended for high heat applications. If you google something like "finish for a trivet" you will find information.

Thank you. I really appreciate it!

Hjanes

Harlan
User
5 decades back I used Casey's Tru oil, a linseed oil based wiping varnish. It's held up well. I see Birchwood Casey is still in business focused on the firearm restoration and maintenance special interests. I'm not current on more modern options. Good luck.
HJanes

ComblocCustoms

New User
John
5 decades back I used Casey's Tru oil, a linseed oil based wiping varnish. It's held up well. I see Birchwood Casey is still in business focused on the firearm restoration and maintenance special interests. I'm not current on more modern options. Good luck.
HJanes

Thank you.

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
Birch wood Casey still has the Tru Oil. They sell a refinishing kit for gun stocks. It has a walnut stain, Tru Oil, and a gunstock sheen and conditioner. I am currently doing an online school for gun repair and that is the kit that they sent for the gunstock repair project. There may be other products out there. I have a good friend back home who I will call and see if there are other products on the market for this purpose.

I found the same kit that I have on mytoytruck.com for about 13 dollars. I’m not sure what shipping is, but that’s the best price I found.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Amazon has the Birchwood Casey refinishing kit for $13.97. No shipping if you're a prime member.

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
i was thinking about this again. have you looked at a product called duracoat. i have used the rattle cans before. the project that i was using it on turned out nice.
It is a 2 part finish. kinda like epoxy.
here is the wiki how for using the original duracoat. wiki

is this closer to what you were thinking? I have gotten this though Brownells before, haven't checked on amazon.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Over the years I have built a bunch of blackpowder rifles. Some of the soon to be owners of the rifles wanted the barrel channel to be "sealed" for better protection.

I won't go on with too much here but you don't need it and whats more if you put too much on the area around the barrel seat fitting it back in can be a nightmare and you will wind up removing much of the oil or varnish before you get it back in.

Most of the sensible guys want the channel that the barrel sits in to be lightly coated with some oil. This is not for dissipating heat its for those individuals who get caught hunting in the rain and don't want the area under the barrel to get wet.

I included the photo of the poured pewter nose cap to make a point: the wood around the chevron design is not burned. The pewter was hotter than 400f to make it warm enough to pour. Do you see any burn marks on the rifle stock?

Some additional information to consider from a person that builds rifles.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS