Heart Pine Bench

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Just recently finished this foot bench in reclaimed pine salvaged from a barn on our property. The wood all came from huge 12 1/2" wide 30 foot long beams. I believe it is Longleaf (?) Heart Pine.
Mortise and tenon construction, dovetailed cross supports, arm-r-seal finish, hide glue.
A lot of work in this piece, took way more effort than I anticipated in breaking down/milling reclaimed wood. Reclaimed wood is very challenging in my opinion, lots of little quirks in it but so very worth it and exquisitely beautiful.

Thanks for checking it out.

56OuLbD.jpg

w5fh9z9.jpg

Xl9zQh2.jpg

F9N2Fep.jpg

BgGDgrS.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really beautiful piece. the effort is evident in the result, and you should be proud.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Very well crafted Jacob! It looks like a Shaker-inspired design, beauty in the simplicity but strongly made and will last several lifetimes.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Very well crafted Jacob! It looks like a Shaker-inspired design, beauty in the simplicity but strongly made and will last several lifetimes.

Thank you, yes my small table designs and this bench design are shaker inspired. My novice skill level permits these straight lines. One day though, I aspire to make period furniture.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Jacob,
The simplicity of the design matches the wood perfectly. Anything more elaborate would just not fit. That is a very impressive bench and I can only envy and dream of the wonderful odor the wood gave your shop while you were working it.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Jacob,
The simplicity of the design matches the wood perfectly. Anything more elaborate would just not fit. That is a very impressive bench and I can only envy and dream of the wonderful odor the wood gave your shop while you were working it.
The timber I re-sawed from large barn beams. I was surprised to find the wood was very dry, never warped after being separated, however in some parts a lot of pine resin was still present. It amazed me that resin was still in this wood and readily seeps out in the sun. My grandfather said he remembered the barn being there when he was younger so it was quite old. The scent it gave off I can’t describe. Smells much better than white pine. It’s very pleasant.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I believe it is Longleaf (?) Heart Pine.
You are correct and that's why there's still a lot of pine resin still present even after all of the years. The Long Leaf pine was used extensively as the source for turpentine and pine pitch used in the naval industry in the 18th & 19th century. Take a look.....

The pitch is usually set by heating the lumber to 150-180 degrees so the pitch becomes brittle and hard so it doesn't seep and remain sticky. That would not have been done with barn beams years ago.

Dining table made from Antique Heart Pine (Longleaf pine).

P3210246.png

Last edited:

Jak3

New User
Jacob

Thanks for that little tid bit of info. That’s so awesome. This species of wood is fascinating and so rich with history in our state. I hope everything is being done to preserve this tree so that it continues to thrive in its habitat and is not over harvested as it once was.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There are a few long leaf pine forests remaining in NC that are largely protected and managed by the North Carolina Forest Service. One of the larger forests is at Fort Bragg, NC.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors