Heads-up lumber guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

banjo mike

New User
Mike
Looks like that cherry I just milled for a guy in Greensboro to me, but the bark is a little different. Pretty sure it's not oak though. hard to tell from the photos. Sure is red though isn't it!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
NOT red cedar--------------does not look like cherry to me either-------------the slice looks like red oak but the bark looks a little strange for red oak to me. Really is hard to tell from the pictures

Jerry

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Best part is seller wants someone to PAY HIM for hauling away tree. Normally seller pays to have tree hauled away.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It's Red Oak - stinky ole true southern Red oak to be correct (they smell a lot like puke when you mill them). Not very big either for a southern red oak...

banjo mike

New User
Mike
After looking at it again Jeff, I think you're right. I'm with walnutjerry though, that bark photo looks really odd for red oak. Must be the angle of the shot.

Yep, the guy will be lucky to get someone to haul the thing away for free for the lumber.

He'd be better off selling it as firewood if money is the motive.

What's split seasoned oak going for a pickup load these days anyway?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
After looking at it again Jeff, I think you're right. I'm with walnutjerry though, that bark photo looks really odd for red oak. Must be the angle of the shot.

Yep, the guy will be lucky to get someone to haul the thing away for free for the lumber.

He'd be better off selling it as firewood if money is the motive.

What's split seasoned oak going for a pickup load these days anyway?

Hi Mike sometime several years ago I put together a presentation that I converted to a web page. The presentation attempts to explain good saw logs from firewood logs . It also has some various band mill techniques to produce different "cuts" of lumber, its very basic and written in easy to understand terms. It might be advantageous to bone up on the basics of logs to lumber making so you know when someone posts something like this on CL, you'll be able to be a little more educated about what it is your looking at...

You can find the presentation here ---> https://sites.google.com/site/millscustomsawing/logs-to-lumber-1

If you have any questions after having looked at the presentation, just post them here... This site has lots of resident experts that will be more than happy to answer yours or anyone elses questions you may have.

Thanks

banjo mike

New User
Mike
Appreciate the link. Lots of useful stuff you've accumulated there.

Hi Mike sometime several years ago I put together a presentation that I converted to a web page. The presentation attempts to explain good saw logs from firewood logs . It also has some various band mill techniques to produce different "cuts" of lumber, its very basic and written in easy to understand terms. It might be advantageous to bone up on the basics of logs to lumber making so you know when someone posts something like this on CL, you'll be able to be a little more educated about what it is your looking at...

You can find the presentation here ---> https://sites.google.com/site/millscustomsawing/logs-to-lumber-1

If you have any questions after having looked at the presentation, just post them here... This site has lots of resident experts that will be more than happy to answer yours or anyone elses questions you may have.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS