Hawk pic to pattern ( long )

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
First of all let me say that this is less a tutorial and more just a visual representation of the basic steps in what I do and how I do it . I will be more than happy to expand on any of the processes if you want to give me a shout by PM or e-mail :icon_thum
There are as many varied styles and techniques as there are designers and scrollers so this is far from a definitive " how to " . Just the process I go through for what it's worth

Michael Ayers was kind enough to allow me permission to use one of his awesome candid pics of a hawk on his property

So we start with the pic

hawk3.jpg

Through a process I am continually tweaking , I render the pic to stark black and white . This is the first step in creating the pattern

hawk3-28.jpeg

This is not cuttable in it's present form and must be " cleaned up " and manipulated to make a scrollable pattern . This is the first big challenge. Using hand drawing, erasing and filling I create what I hope will be a scrollable pattern, creating positive and negative spaces that will ( hopefully ) recreate the subject in 2 dimensions while giving the look of 3 dimensions ....no shading allowed :mrgreen:
This is the result of 2 or 3 hours of this manipulation ...looks cuttable to me

hawkpat.jpg

I want to stack cut this ....different looks, same effort , double the reward. I chose oak and spalted maple

IMG_03311.jpg

Tape the pieces together nice and flat starting with the edges

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_03341.jpg

Apply glue to the back of the pattern

IMG_03361.jpg

apply pattern to the taped wood

IMG_03372.jpg

Entry holes must be drilled in every area to be cut out ( the black areas ) I use a Dremel mounted in a clear plunge router base so I can place it anywhere on the piece that I need a hole . The plunge base insures a straight hole through all pieces of wood . I use the smallest bit I can that will still allow the blade to pass through . Sometimes it is necessary to use several bits as sometimes different size blades are required on the same piece .

IMG_0339.jpg

I already know I can do all of this one with an FD#3 spiral so all the holes can be the same size . I drill only a few holes at a time ( 10 or 20 or so ) to lessen the confusion and force myself to take a periodic break

IMG_0340.jpg

My saw ( and others ) has a top arm that pivots up after the top clamp is released. The blade is threaded through the hole from underneath ( I am a bottom feeder ) and reattached . The cut is made , the top clamp released and the arm is raised again

IMG_03411.jpg

I use a piece of 2 x 4 to hold the arm up while threading the blade. Others use lift mechanisms designed for the saw

IMG_03422.jpg

The arm is lowered , the blade reclamped and I'm ready to cut another piece out

IMG_03442.jpg

The process is repeated for each piece that is to be removed . I can generally unclamp, thread and reclamp in 10 or 15 seconds on a good nite. Care must be used when selecting each cut so as not to weaken or stress the wood or bridges in other cuts . I usually start in the center and work out to the edges , trying to be sure each cut has a least one solid ( uncut ) side

IMG_0346.jpg

This is the back of the piece . This is why I only drill a few holes at a time . It can be difficult sometimes to thread the blade in the next intended hole. This also show you how " nasty " the back looks with spiral blades :eek:
Not to worry, we'll deal with that soon enough

IMG_03572.jpg

I've made a bit of progress by now but the back is really looking shabby. I want to adress some of that now before I go much further so I will have less to do later when the piece is weaker from so much removed wood
The yuckiness :

IMG_0359.jpg

This is resolved with a quickly moving blow torch , making sure there is a piece of ply pressed against the front so no flame accidently licks through

IMG_0360.jpg

Ta-dahhh ...no fuzzies and only lightly scorched in a couple of places on the back ( practice on scrap first ! :mrgreen: )

IMG_0361.jpg

"Getting down in the short rows" as we say 'round these parts

IMG_0362.jpg

Almost done ...I have saved the large area of the eye and surrounding area for last to minimize breaking the delicate bridge while handling the piece during all the other cuts

IMG_0363.jpg

I also go ahead and torch/clean the rest of the back before cutting the eye ...again to minimize breaking it :eusa_pray

IMG_0364.jpg

After marking the edges using the glass from the frame, the sides are released

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

The oak is ready for a BLO bath but the pattern must be peeled from the top piece of maple . This is a sometimes tedious process that , if rushed , will garauntee breakage of fragile parts :eusa_naug I use an exacto knife to start the process and make sure to hold down fragile pieces from behind as I peel. The blue tape comes away pretty easily

IMG_0368.jpg

The oak begins it's BLO bath and is then allowed to drip for a spell while I peel the pattern from the maple

IMG_0369.jpg

I double up paper towels and place the piece right side up on them

IMG_03721.jpg

Using another set of double towels I blot the top.

IMG_03731.jpg

The wicking action of the upper and lower towels removes the oil from the cuts

IMG_0374.jpg

The piece is then allowed to dry for overnite at the very least . longer if possible . It will hang here until I am done for the nite then I will allow it to finish drying inside the house

IMG_0375.jpg

It's dry enough for a picture soooooo , A piece of felt and a frame there you have it .....instant wooden portrait :icon_cheers

IMG_03791.jpg

As I said before , far from the definitive " how to " and lots of parts left out but I hope I have solved at least some of the mystery
Not nearly as complicated as you thought , huh ? :gar-La;

I'll gladly give more details as requested ......right now my typing finger hurts ! :rotflm:

thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That's awesome!

Your creativity is blazing through your work.

Thanks for the "how to"

Glennbear

Glenn
A piece of felt and a frame there you have it .....instant wooden portrait :icon_cheers

Instant ???? I think not !!! :gar-La; Thanks for showing the tedious process my friend. After seeing the labor involved I am even more impressed with the finished works you have shared :eusa_clap

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Wow, that must take lots of patience! The result is well worth it. I guess there is a black piece of paper behind the wood?

Nice "how to" thread. I had some ideas about how this worked but now I know! Thanks for taking the time to explain this with pics!

Kicbak

New User
Wes
That is one of the best walk throughs I have ever seen. Simple amazing work as well. I am always impressed with you scrollers!!

Wes

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ha! And I thought this scrolling stuff was difficult. Man that's simple. Seriously, if I had your tools and expertise, I could have made that hawk portrait myself!

:rolf:

Great writeup Robert. Very cool stuff.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Robert,

Although I don't do any scroll saw work, in fact I don't even own a scroll saw, I found your tutorial very interesting and informative. Even though there are many widely varying disciplines in woodworking, there is always something useful to be learned from people doing types of work different from one's own.

I particularly like the torch technique to get rid of the fuzzies. Nothing like introducing super hot fire into an environment of wood and sawdust to create some adventure!

I do some bitmap to vector conversions, although I am not an expert. I was wondering if you have ever used any software to take a bitmap image and convert it to a vector image. Editing the vectors to create smooth curves, cusps, etc. has seemed easier to me than trying to accomplish the same thing using the bitmap. In my case, I need the vector file to generate toolpaths for a CNC machine, but in your case, you don't really need a vector file. It just seems like it might be faster to edit. I don't really know, I'm just asking.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to photograph and describe the process.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS