Have you heard of this bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
OK, it's a home-made bench that I recently updated by adding a Veritas twin screw vise after years of juggling two separate screws in the end vise. The twin screw works sooooo much better. I got done and looked at the flimsy Veritas label they supplied and remembered a souvenir nameplate I picked out of the junk pile 35 years ago. Don't know whether the Lee Valley lawyers or the Mergenthaler lawyers will be upset. I hope not.

linotype bench.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So... does that mean that it is a "press" not a vise?

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
So what type of bench is this? Is it moveable?
The bench plan was in FWW issue #167 Tools and Shops 2004. It is moveable but heavy. I can lift the light end and kick a furniture dolly under the stretchers if i have to move it. But it hasn't moved in several years. The trestle is Yellow Pine, the top is ash and the vises and skirt are maple.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The sad part is that I am not a graphic arts person, but do know what a linotype is (jacka$$ of all trades - master of none!)- and made the connection immediately - Charlie's application of the nameplate is so good someone not familiar might just ask if there is a twin screw vise made by Linotype!!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
At this point I have to admit my wife has a masters degree in hand printing and binding books from UofA. That's where we met and I hung out with the class a bit. I also worked in an ad agency near Atlanta for a few years where I did page layout, darkroom up to plate making and some photography. Also helped run a hidelburg for a few months, but never ran a Linotype machine.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
At this point I have to admit my wife has a masters degree in hand printing and binding books from UofA. That's where we met and I hung out with the class a bit. I also worked in an ad agency near Atlanta for a few years where I did page layout, darkroom up to plate making and some photography. Also helped run a hidelburg for a few months, but never ran a Linotype machine.

I never operated a Linotype either but spent many late nights watching the workings from a respectful distance as press time approached. I worked at The Winston-Salem Journal as a photographer before and during the time that the Linotypes were being hauled away in some cases to smaller newspapers in other cases to the parts bin. They were marvels of 19th century mechanical ingenuity. So in a way a workbench for hand tool woodworking is an appropriate place for the old nameplate.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
My background is in gravure printing, but I got the jokes ;)

I read somewhere that before the Linotype was invented, newspapers were never more than 8 pages. I'll argue that they still aren't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS