Have you ever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Put off or dreaded a certain part of a project because you were nervous or thought you wouldn't be able to do it? Only to find out that you breezed right past it and it was one of the easiest parts of the project?

just wondering...because I finally bit the bullet on part of my latest project that I had been putting off for quite awhile...only to say to myself wow that was pretty easy.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Put off or dreaded a certain part of a project because you were nervous or thought you wouldn't be able to do it?
Yeah, typically cutting joinery, assembly, and finishing. I do OK with stock prep. Most of the time anyway.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Happens all the time Wayne. That is why I always have a bunch of projects in the works.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
More times than I care to remember. But fortunately, it usually works out the way yours did and I can claim to be "experienced". :wwink:

Bill

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yep, been there and done that so I can empathize with you. I've found the KISS idea very helpful (Keep It Simple Stupid). Sometimes we get engaged in what I term "analysis to paralysis". ;)

Scrap pieces make excellent test subjects for your plan of attack before the actual attack.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Two things I have hit me very hard on my latest project.

1. take everything one step at a time and it will all come together.

2. WALK AWAY when you are not feeling it, its better than screwing it up!!!!!

cskipper

Cathy
If there is a particular part of a pattern that makes me afraid I cut it first. That way if I mess it up I haven't invested a lot of time.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Every time I cut and fit jointery on a Maloof chair or just a simple mortise & tennon. Every time I rout an edge on a table top. ......................................I just remind myself that it is just wood and can be replaced. I learn much more by my mistakes than the things i do correct the first time.

Bryan S

Bryan
Kind of have the same thoughts as a few others. I can not think of a project it has not happened on.

joec

joe
User
I just finished my Maloof style rocker. I had to fight this almost everyday. It all worked out, but the artist in me was overwhelmed by the engineer in me, on this project. Will post pics soon.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
a lot of stuff on my crane build. I look and look at it and just know I'm going to struggle with it. I try to think things through even while I'm driving. But if I just get out in the shop and start, it seems to go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors