Have you ever had one of them daze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Yesterday b4 I left the shop, I decided to put some poly on the new outfeed table top cause I thought it would help seal the mdf and maybe make a nicer looking table. Well, when I got to the shop this morning, the stuff wasn't even close to being dry and I really think there was something wrong with the stuff, it had a pinkish color to it. After another 4 hrs of waiting for it to dry, I couldn't take it anymore so I wiped it down with some naptha and a green 3m pad, which didn't really do much good but it did remove some of the gunk. Finally I just took a card scraper and went to town on it removing it all. Wore a blister on my thumb from the heat and swore off ever using poly again. The only reason I used it was it was free. Sometimes free isn't really free if you know what I mean. Well, just had to rant about something. Bright spot of my day was I finally got my warehouse beams busted open so I can manage them on my own. Beautiful tight grain pine.

Mike

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear it. Stuff must have been old. I need to do a better job labeling stuff myself. Years will go by before I know it on finishing stuff. I realize yours was free, which is probably why it was free.

Congrats on the pine. You really suck for that and you have the original pics to support it.:mrgreen: :lol:

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Sounds like a mess! I can't help wondering if there was a chemical reaction taking place here. Was there any type of finish on the table top before you applied the polly?
Sometimes two different kinds of finish don't get along with each other (like latex and oil base).
On the scraper - I use a holder with mine, it saves your thumb from all that heat, and has an adjusting screw to put a bow in it so you don't have to apply pressure with your thumb to bend it.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
As for the poly, I stirred it very well and it had a pinkish color right in the can so I have to believe it was just some bad stuff. Also there was nothing on the mdf, at least nothing I put on it.

I have a scraper holder but I just don't get the feel of the scraper when I use it therefore I mostly just grab the scraper and go to town. I might have to get some thumb cots to help shield against :kamahlitu the heat, or just don't use them so vigorously.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS