Have trees... need lumber!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodRose

New User
Sam
[FONT=&quot]Due to a recent storm that damaged the tops of a few hardwood trees in my backyard I may be taking a couple of them down very soon, or more accurately hiring someone to take them down. The big tree and its twin are slightly in excess of 36 inches around sprouting from a good size crotch. So all this leads to my question(s).

Does anyone know of a good and reasonable portable saw mill operator that is willing to travel to Rock Hill?
How is this sort of thing priced out… board foot, time, time and materials (fuel, equipment wear, travel, etc.) or what?
Lastly, are their any special instructions/request I should give the folks that will be felling the trees?

Someone please shed some light on this topic for me as I am at a loss and don’t really know where to start.

:help:
[/FONT]

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Check the "Woodworking in NC" tab near the top of the page. Kyle Edwards in Iron Station and Randy at H&W in Waxhaw. I don't think they do any "Mobile" sawing but could direct you in the right direction.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Find your miller first, and have them look over the trees before they are felled. Ask them to provide recommendations on what lengths the logs should be cut to based upon the defects that they observe in the trees. This will help improve the quantity of high grade boards that you harvest from the trees.

If you can take your logs to the mill, Randy in Waxhaw may be your closest bet.

Both the Forestry Forum (www.forestryforum.com) and Woodweb (www.woodweb.com) contain listings for millers across the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors