Have a small CNC job

Kelly

Kelly
User
I built a miniature blanket chest for a charity Auction. Being small, I didn’t want to muck up the inside too much with holding hardware. It will slam shut.
So, I want to put a little medallion on the inside of the lid saying something to the effect “ I Bite Fingers” . It only needs to be about 3 inches, square or oval, and, of course, I would supply the blank.
Can anyone suggest someone who might be willing to do this small job ?

Attachments

• 9FB6B937-3445-46DF-8DE7-509180B81422.jpeg
    9FB6B937-3445-46DF-8DE7-509180B81422.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 61F4F0EC-5162-4E25-8960-19FA5E86C598.jpeg
    61F4F0EC-5162-4E25-8960-19FA5E86C598.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 173
  • 1D03BFDA-CD31-40FE-B8FF-22B84BC5C1CE.jpeg
    1D03BFDA-CD31-40FE-B8FF-22B84BC5C1CE.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 172

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
An update with results. I sent Kelly some design suggestions based off his ideas, and he sent me a few different wood blanks to engrave. He liked both designs, so I engraved both on each blank. When engraving, I mask the wood with paper transfer tape. This is really just a time saver so you don't have to sand off the residue from the vaporized soot. I made two passes with the laser to give it a little more depth (for those interested, the settings were 2 passes at 250mm/s 35% power on a 50W laser).

Took a short time lapse of the engraving and removing the masking (because who doesn't like a time lapse video?)

The maple turned out lighter than I expected, but should have more contrast when a finish is applied. The other woods really popped.

IMG_4546.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing them mounted. :-D

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks James!
Cool to see it in action and the designs are AWESOME! (Made me laugh)

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
James - What are the details of your laser? I have a CNC now, but have thought about adding a laser to my shop.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
An update with results. I sent Kelly some design suggestions based off his ideas, and he sent me a few different wood blanks to engrave. He liked both designs, so I engraved both on each blank. When engraving, I mask the wood with paper transfer tape. This is really just a time saver so you don't have to sand off the residue from the vaporized soot. I made two passes with the laser to give it a little more depth (for those interested, the settings were 2 passes at 250mm/s 35% power on a 50W laser).

Took a short time lapse of the engraving and removing the masking (because who doesn't like a time lapse video?)

The maple turned out lighter than I expected, but should have more contrast when a finish is applied. The other woods really popped.

View attachment 200829

Looking forward to seeing them mounted. :-D
Sure as Heck wish you were closer. I have a 20w diode laser and REAL problems trying to do photos on urns

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
James - What are the details of your laser? I have a CNC now, but have thought about adding a laser to my shop.

It's a 50W CO2 with a Ruida controller, and using Lightburn to run it. 20"x12" work area, and 12" of z-axis travel. It's water cooled and has an air pump for air-assist.

I bought it in December 2019 off of a friend that had used it for several years to run her personalization & engraving business until she upgraded to an Epilog. It's a workhorse and has been great for me. Still has the original tube.

1622742658020.png

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Sure as Heck wish you were closer. I have a 20w diode laser and REAL problems trying to do photos on urns

Photos are really tricky. I've only done a few, and had a lot of trial-and-error with different settings, and editing the photo prior to importing it into the laser software. Even when you get it just right, it might look totally different on a different species of wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS