Has Anyone Ever Made Wooden Window Shutters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckster

Pete
Senior User
I need to make shutters for 2 windows using Red Oak. I bought the New Yankee Workshop plans but Norm has a shaper and I don't. He uses that to make the individual shutters flanges.

Anyone know of any online places to buy parts for shutters? or better, local places? Any other sources for plans and info??

Thx
~Huckster

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Ok, guess I'm talking about Plantation Shutters.

I did a search on prior forum posts. Seems that Woodline.com is a source for some accessories for this type of project.

They have a Pin & Tensioner Accessory Kit
http://www.woodline.com/p-1775-pin-tensioner-accessory-kit.aspx

and a Plantation Shutter Set
http://www.woodline.com/p-1774-plantation-shutter-set.aspx

Unfortunately the 2 links a light on information about what those 2 products do. . .

Any thoughts about red oak being too heavy and prone to warping? A buddy of mine mentioned that bass wood is usually used. He also says the whole idea of making plantion shutters is a PITA.

~H

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I made this set and used a router table with a beading bit to make the slats. I used 3/16 drill rod and nylon bushings as the pivot and mortise an tenon joinery

DSC00404.JPG

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Thanks for the picture Nick. Those look pretty sweet and they are $$$ to buy them custom. I'm still doing research. I'm wondering what other woods besides bass are dimensionally stable enough to be the slats. I guess the shutter pins for sale on woodline are the axel/axis for the slats to the rails.

~Huck

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I made some wood exterior shutters (raised panel type) using fir lumber. They aren't very much like what you are planning to make, but similar. Fir is pretty stable and suitable for both indoor and outdoor work. Shutters aren't the easiest project by any means, but if you are up for a bit of a challenge, they can be a lot of fun and challenge to make. You may consider them to be a significant challenge later on in the project if you decide to make them for every window in your house and commit yourself by buying all of the lumber at once though. It would be better to do them in small batches, like for one room at a time. Then you can decide at the end of the room if you want to try again for another room.

For indoor work you can use select white pine, poplar, fir, or basswood and they would all be quite stable if kiln dried to a low moisture content before working. Oak is a bit too hard to work easily, and quite heavy. If you wanted a harder wood than pine and you intend to paint them, my recommendation would be poplar. It's also one of the least expensive choices, but not when purchased at the Borgs. My preference is poplar for any inside trim or cabinet work that will be painted, because it resists denting and chipping better than the softwoods, holds screws and hardware well, yet is easy to find, works easily, and is very stable. Rockler and Woodline are likely the best sources for the needed hardware. You might also try Woodworkers Hardware.

Charley

Steve W

New User
Steve
What a great co-winky-dink!

I'm planning on making fully-functional, panel-type exterior shutters for my place. I'm still considering what, if anything, to use as pattern for the upper panel (palmetto, pine tree, suggestions? )

Even though I'm now in a subdivision house that was built in 1980, I want to do some cool things with the place without having to worry about ROI. In that vein, I'm pretty much convinced to make the shutters out of cypress, as it seems to be easier to work into a smooth state. In my native New England, we would have used cedar but cedar comes out rough after machining it.

Let me know what you find with respect to resources for hardware. I've looked up stuff online for shutter hardware, and those places are priced for "yuppies." I'm going to need pintels and shutter dogs that are realistically-priced. Fercryinoutloud we're dealing with wrought iron -- I don't want to pay forty dollars per window!

:kermit: Steve

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Steve, I meant to reply to your other thread, but someone else suggested the only supplier I know of. I did see conneticut hinges that were only $4/pair on that site.

Mr. Huck & SteveW,

One thought, maybe hiting up the Habitat Reuse center or some of the Architectural Salvage companies for hardware. Might get better for less.....

If you find yourself in Hillsborough, besides calling me for a beer, might hit up Wesley at Dual Hardware. He might have just what ya need buried in the basement.

I shutter at the thought :)
Jim

Steve W

New User
Steve
Jim, is that the hardware store on Margaret St? That place reminds me of the hardware store I used to go to as a kid.

:kermit: Steve

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Dual Hardware is on King street. Just west off of Churton, across the street from Cup of Joe and Volurs French Pastries.

Funny how I don't know how to read a map, but I can locate things in relative location to coffee shops and pastries.....

Jim

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have made plantation shutters for 6 windows, so far. The frame is poplar and the louvers are 1/2 inch MDF. I used pins from both Woodline and Rocklers. I got hinges, knobs and latches from Rockler. If you search their site, you will find their stuff. I painted my shutters with white tinted Resisthane. Finishing the louvers is why I have not made more plantation shutters. It took me as long to finish as to make the shutters. I finished before assembly because I could not figure out how to get an even coat on the louvers of an assembled shutter. I did not try, maybe it is not as bad as I think.

My router bit set came from Woodline. The picture is of template guides, not their router bit set. The main thing you would use is the bit that shapes the louvers. You might want to try a search on Amazon, the price may be better and the picture correct. The router bit set comes with instructions that are decent. My jigs are a combination of Norms and what the Woodline bit set recommended. In most cases, I think Norms are better. I did not buy his plans, I just taped his show.

I think oak would work OK but I would rip the blanks for the louvers and let them sit a day or two to see of they warp. Any kind of wood will warp if the grain is that way. I find oak pretty stable.

Jim

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Thanks for all the help and input guys. When I get to these, I'll post again with pictures. Its going to be the last step of the room renovation.

Cheers,
~Huck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS