Hardwoods for cutting boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
I have searched the forum and didn't find anything up-to-date on this. Hope I didn't miss something.

I am searching for hardwoods; maple, black walnut, cherry, purple heart, heartwood, mahogany, and any other hardwoods good for making cutting boards.

I only need small quantities and probably 2" x 12" x 18" pieces.

As a side, I am going to buy a Forest Woodworker II, 10", 5/8 bore, 3/32 kerf, 40 tooth, unless there are better suggestions. I am wide open. Thanks.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Dan, I have some purple heart, yellow heart (pau amarillo), red heart, blood wood, hard maple, black walnut, and maybe something else in quantities appropriate for a cutting board or three.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dan, if Pete can't hook you up completely we have complied a list of wood suppliers that you can find in the upper brown menu under Woodworking in NC. Select from the drop down menu.
More than likely you will have to get full boards, surface and rip them down. But with a new WWII that should be a joy.

Dave:)

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Dan, I have some purple heart, yellow heart (pau amarillo), red heart, blood wood, hard maple, black walnut, and maybe something else in quantities appropriate for a cutting board or three.

Pete,

I'll buy whatever he doesn't want.

Geoff

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Geoff, don't have much for quantity, but I have some interesting pieces, some of which had already been milled up for some cutting boards I haven't assembled. I'll go out tomorrow to measure what I have.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dan, before you pull the trigger on the WWII, go over to Cripe Distributing's web site, and look at the Delta 35-7657 for $17. I own 2 WWII's, and several 7657's. I keep a 7657 on my saw most of the time. You can have five (a lifetime supply) of the 7657's delivered to your door for less than the cost of one WWII.

GoToLeep

New User
Dan

Am definitely interested. Sending PM right now.

Dan, if Pete can't hook you up completely we have complied a list of wood suppliers that you can find in the upper brown menu under Woodworking in NC. Select from the drop down menu.
More than likely you will have to get full boards, surface and rip them down. But with a new WWII that should be a joy.

Dave:)

Thanks Dave...will check that out.

Dan, before you pull the trigger on the WWII, go over to Cripe Distributing's web site, and look at the Delta 35-7657 for $17. I own 2 WWII's, and several 7657's. I keep a 7657 on my saw most of the time. You can have five (a lifetime supply) of the 7657's delivered to your door for less than the cost of one WWII.

Noting that I have not used the WWII (supposed to leave a cut surrface that does not need any sanding, etc.). first, is that true, and second, does the delta leave as good a cut? That blade sounds great and I will buy it if it is not sacrificing much. Sounds like a great deal.

ck1999

Chris
User
I am also interested in the results people are getting with the 35-7657. Would they be sufficient enough to make cutting boards without a jointer?

Chris

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
Bumping this up.

If anybody has or knows of a source I would appreciate. I have found a few through goggle search, but don't know any reputations. Thanks again!!!

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
If one is making cutting boards primarily, then a quality rip blade is a better choice than the WWII IMHO. I have made a lot of cutting boards, and a rip blade simply works better in this application. I have had excellent success with the Freud Glue Line Rip blade. I also have three WWII blades, so I am very familiar with the performance of the Forrest blade. It is, in fact, the blade that I keep on the saw most of the time.

If you are ripping wood that is 3/4" or less in thickness, the WWII is satisfactory, but if you're cutting thick material, especially woods like maple, the rip blade does a better job. Also, if you don't have a jointer, then the rip blade is almost indispensable.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I can put together a package for you if you like.

hard maple, cherry, sapele, walnut, purpleheart, Ash are mostly what I carry.

We can do NCWW express or flat rate usps.

Let me know.

kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS