hardwood flooring/planer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
beginning stage of building my own home. wondering if anyone knows of a great bargain store/shop who sells hard wood flooring. pre finished okay, but would like un-finished flooring. darker color but not one sold look. brazilian walnut tops list!

also thanks on suggestions on planer, but im not wanting to invest in a monster when wont be useing it every day. may offer planed bds instead of rough cut if wanted but just a 2nd job/hobby (sawmilling) to me.

but i do need to plane some 1500 bdft as of now for my home I'm building! so i dont want a little table top delta/dewalt the lowes/depots are selling! used enough, but not every day all day. we mill once a week if we do that. bought 8 acres and after grading, ended up with some 55 logs at 12'-16' long,most 20 plus radius logs! still have some 25 remaining!

thanks,
dave "go buffalo sabres!!!"

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Dave, I moved your thread to the "Where Can I Find, Buy or Sell" forum so it will get more exposure.
You might check with the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Use store as they often have great bargains on hardwood flooring. It's hit and miss, but worth keeping an eye on.
There has been a recent thread with your same inquiry about a planer for a sawyer and old iron has been highly recommended. I'll see if I can find it, but in the meanwhile I am sure that our other sawyers will offer their recommendations.

D'oh! you started that one too - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=81550#post81550

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Lumber Liquidators is supposed to have pretty good pricing on flooring. They aren't convenient, but their prices are supposed to be good.

As for a planer, a cast iron 15" sounds like what you are looking for. I would keep an eye on craigslist.org and woodweb.com as you see them pretty regularly available in NC.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Dave,
Take a look at these folks in Concord: http://www.amazonexotichardwood.com/
They can get just about anything (but Brazilian Rosewood:-( ) from South America. Nice guys to do business with. I buy plywood from them and have used a few dimensional pieces of Cumaru for some outside projects. Depending on how soon you need it I could be persuaded to carry a pickup truckload of flooring to Raleigh for the picnic or Jeff's next wood orgy in Raleigh later in May.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Lumber Liquidators is supposed to have pretty good pricing on flooring. They aren't convenient, but their prices are supposed to be good.

As for a planer, a cast iron 15" sounds like what you are looking for. I would keep an eye on craigslist.org and woodweb.com as you see them pretty regularly available in NC.

Yea Lumber Liquidators seems to have good prices and a large selection. They have a store in the Raleigh area. But most ahs to be ordered so check their online store out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS