Hardwood Floor Acclimation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
I am getting ready to install 5" wide solid oak prefinished flooring and 2 1/4" in another room. What is the proper way to acclimate the flooring? Is leaving them in the box OK if they are in the house? It has been boxed and in the house since July. Any input is appreciated - thanks!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Are the boxes opened, or still wrapped in plastic? If they're still covered, I'd take that off ASAP.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Brian, the proper way is to check the boards with a moisture meter. In general, they will not acclimate stacked in a box, or even stacked tightly together, because wood needs to dry from the face out, not the ends. You want them all to be around 8%, give or take.

The proper way would be to stack and sticker the boards inside the house - with a gentle fan running on them and the HVAC system infull operation.

In particular, you want the HVAC to have been running for a few weeks prior to bringing the flooring in, so that the subfloor has equalized.

I just finished kiln drying 2500 sq ft of 5" red oak flooring that a guy purchased, had installed, and then ended up removing when it started shrinking. It was originally kiln dried in Michigan, but it had equalized to 14% while in transit and in storage at his new home (no AC running....).

Glennbear

Glenn
Brian, the proper way is to check the boards with a moisture meter. In general, they will not acclimate stacked in a box, or even stacked tightly together, because wood needs to dry from the face out, not the ends. You want them all to be around 8%, give or take.

The proper way would be to stack and sticker the boards inside the house - with a gentle fan running on them and the HVAC system infull operation.

In particular, you want the HVAC to have been running for a few weeks prior to bringing the flooring in, so that the subfloor has equalized.

I just finished kiln drying 2500 sq ft of 5" red oak flooring that a guy purchased, had installed, and then ended up removing when it started shrinking. It was originally kiln dried in Michigan, but it had equalized to 14% while in transit and in storage at his new home (no AC running....).

Thanks for sharing your wisdom Scott, I am sure I am not the only one who would not think about the fact that unfinished wood can rehydrate if kept in damp conditions. :wsmile:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
What the guys did up norf was unpack, distribute over the entire floor,layed out to install then let is sit for 2 weeks or so. This serves good purpose; First you decided the layout and got that in place, second it acclimates in place for a couple weeks, next just grab and nail. 99% of the thunkin has already been done :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS