Hardwire question when adding under cabinet lighting...where to bring the wire out of the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am in the process of my kitchen remodel and need to determine the best place to bring the 14-3 wiring out of wall into my under cabinet fixture. I am tearing out and redoing the backsplash so I will have plenty of room to work but the main question is should I come out through the tile/grout flush with the bottom of the cabinet or should I come out into the cabinet, into a 90 deg conduit fitting, then down and out the bottom of the cabinet?

the cabinet construction is pictured and you will see that the back of the case is flush with the bottom.

thx

attachment.php

Attachments

• D245DF84-749E-416A-BA73-21E9F1068A61.jpg
    D245DF84-749E-416A-BA73-21E9F1068A61.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 9C49C5B1-A3EA-4DD7-8B8B-7D6CA1852DFC.jpg
    9C49C5B1-A3EA-4DD7-8B8B-7D6CA1852DFC.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 154
  • E09CA512-2FA5-402D-B3A1-CEEF1C87E7D3.jpg
    E09CA512-2FA5-402D-B3A1-CEEF1C87E7D3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
+1 bring wire into one of the cabinets, If low voltage or anything needing a transformer, put everything inside a cabinet and just bring low v feed out

gator

George
Corporate Member
Depends on your fixture. I just replaced six florescent fixtures with six LED fixtures. In both cases (luckily) the wiring hole came out of the back of the fixture (wall side). If your fixtures are the same then you will have to drill new holes in the top of the fixture (if there is clearance inside the fixture) or offset them so you can run the wire behind them. If you want to run the wire through the cabinet, look for fixtures for the wiring holes on top.

George

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure if Romex wire is suitable for wiring in 'exposed' areas. The electrical inspector may frown upon this as it could be considered an area where the wire is subject to physical abuse or damage, even though it's inside the cabinet.......

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're using direct feed lighting fixtures then bring the wire out at where your fixture inlet is. If you're using low voltage lighting then place an outlet in the cabinet or on top of the cabinet for the transformer and run the low voltage wire where ever you need. Good luck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Run a piece of "Greenfield," aka armored cable from switch box, exiting wall just under bottom of cabinet.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Thx folks. I brought it into the cabinet, inside a 90 deg conduit fitting (so fully enclosed) then out and along the bottom into the fixture. I guess I could always “re-saw” some PVC conduit to protect it but I don’t think in practical terms it’s much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS