Hardware for attaching french cleat to wall

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I would NOT use ply. Every layer you counter bore through weakens the strength of the cleat. I strongly suggest solid hardwood even popular maybe 1 in. thick (5/4). You don't want that thing falling.

Pop
Good advice, I had been feeling a little iffy about the ply. Any others have thoughts about hardwood v ply for the cleat?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ply is fine if you use a #14 x 3 inch countersink phillips head screw, two in each stud. That cleat should hold close to 1000 pounds.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
My lumber rack in my space is hanging on a French cleat and carries a few hundred pounds. It's held to the wall with 2 1/2 #9 wood screws through a piece of poplar and hanging on 2x4 pine reinforced with plywood. No washers, I do hope this helps.
IMG_1154.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Almost (and I only say almost because someone will mention their brothers cousins mother-in-law if I don’t) all cabinets in Europe are hung on French cleats. They take their cabinets with them when they move.

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
I believe screws would hold just fine. I have used them with great success in the past. I like the idea of using the cabinet screw as it combines the washer and screw set up. i will add another product to think about. These would work well. they are designed for structural components. I have not used this particular product, but used their Timberlok screws. Absolutely love them, they drive way easier than lags and are strong enough to replace a 3/8 lag screw.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Welp, we got it up on the wall yesterday with no issues at all. Ended up using the Walnut ply cleat and 2 #14 4" screws in each of 6 studs. Definitely strong enough and looks great. Thanks all for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_183904.jpg
    IMG_20191012_183904.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20191012_190336.jpg
    IMG_20191012_190336.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 146

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS