Hard working tool

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Trick question:

Which tool in your shop, for the metal cutting surface involved, cuts more wood than anything else?

Mine is in use now, first one who guesses right, I will post a picture to prove the fact, or see if you have a tool which can better mine.:)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Turning gouge.
Mike, Mike, Mike.....
And I thought this was going to be a long thread.
D5E29873-4225-4F01-B11A-AFBAD75E85CE.jpeg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Trick question:

Which tool in your shop, for the metal cutting surface involved, cuts more wood than anything else?

Mine is in use now, first one who guesses right, I will post a picture to prove the fact, or see if you have a tool which can better mine.:)

I'd go with the planer knife at first, but that's under power. With a 12" planer I once filled 12 55 gal drum liner bags with a morning's planing of redwood on a job I was doing. I think the planer is a little outside of the boundaries of the question, though.
1 David Lancaster - 1.jpg

That looks like a spindle roughing gouge.

I'd probably go with the bowl gouge. I think David Lancaster would agree.

cmboggs

Chris
User
Well...I think there are two different ways to look at the question. One would be from a rate of removal point of view. The other would be looking at the chip size, or mass of waste per cut.

Given the high feed rate and long contact time with the cutting surface, the roughing gouge and planer wins for sure. Where as taking a pure mass perspective, I think a hatchet or spoke shave would win.

In 1min you could make more waste (total mass) with a hatchet. But in 1hour the winner would be roughing gouge.

Now if a tree falls in the woods...

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I'd go with the planer knife at first, but that's under power. With a 12" planer I once filled 12 55 gal drum liner bags with a morning's planing of redwood on a job I was doing. I think the planer is a little outside of the boundaries of the question, though.View attachment 189617

LOL, gotta love that picture.
I think my record with a planer was around 100 gallons in one day.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
When I use my PM 221 the 50 gal chip container fills in about 15 minutes. Keep going and the dust piping clogs... DAMHIK

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I'd go with the planer knife at first, but that's under power. With a 12" planer I once filled 12 55 gal drum liner bags with a morning's planing of redwood on a job I was doing. I think the planer is a little outside of the boundaries of the question, though.View attachment 189617

Like that that Famous Hymn goes "Gloria in excelsior" :oops::p:rolleyes: .......... i know , I know bad pun, just couldn't help my self

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS