Hard Maple needed for my child due in March!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
I'm going to be a Dad soon (March), so I thought one of the best woodworking projects would be to make a crib for my child. I need 4/4 and 8/4, and I'm struggling to find 8/4 maple. Eight feet lengths would be nice, but I can use six feet lengths and just get more. I will need this as rough lumber, as the price of planed/straight lined lumber is just too costly for this project! Any body know of any GREAT deals out there? :roll:

If the lengths are eight feet, here's what I need:
8/4 x 5.5" x 96" (Qty 3)
4/4 x 5.5" x 96" (Qty 4)

It would be preferable if it were in the Charlotte location, but at this point I'm desperate.

Thanks,
Brian

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Brian, Wall lumber may not ship something that small, but if you can't find it anywhere else in your area, perhaps you could piggy back an order with someone else here, or even a local cabinet shop??? --- tho' some of the shops around here are ordering S4S now, to avoid spending the machine time in their own shops.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Have you checked with Kyle? If he doesn't have it, it might have some contacts. There is also Charlotte Hardwoods over by the airport -- worth a check.

Which crib are you building? I built the Woodsmith Heirloom crib two years ago (as have a couple others) and it's a real beauty.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might consider using soft Maple. It would be more available around here as it is native. Soft Maple is more than hard enough for a crib, but works much easier than hard Maple. The cost is usually about 1/3-1/2 as much, also.
If you are picky often you can get a nice selection of curly figure in plain sawn soft Maple, often the cabinet shops cull it as they look for uniformity.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I saw some 8/4 hard maple at Klingspor a week or so ago. Might check the Charlotte store to see if they have any.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
:eusa_clapHave you tried Internet Lumber.....they are in Mocksville,NC and they will ship right to you...bought some red oak last week....stuff was beautiful....I was sceptical because I've never bought wood online but other than a mishap by truckin co everything went fine....good prices too

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brian,

I bought both hard and soft maple form Hardwoods of NC, in Gibsonville yesterday for a project I'm working on. They have 4/4, 5/4, 8/4 and some 12/4. Most were 4.5-6" wide and 7' long, but they had some wider and/or longer. It's a ways to travel from Pineville, but they have plenty of stock.

Rich

bpeterso

New User
Brian
Have you checked with Kyle? If he doesn't have it, it might have some contacts. There is also Charlotte Hardwoods over by the airport -- worth a check.

Which crib are you building? I built the Woodsmith Heirloom crib two years ago (as have a couple others) and it's a real beauty.

I tried Kyle already, as I've worked with him before and was very happy. He only has 4/4 right now. I am using the heirloom crib plans as well, since it is simple yet looks great.

You might consider using soft Maple. It would be more available around here as it is native. Soft Maple is more than hard enough for a crib, but works much easier than hard Maple. The cost is usually about 1/3-1/2 as much, also.
If you are picky often you can get a nice selection of curly figure in plain sawn soft Maple, often the cabinet shops cull it as they look for uniformity.

Dave:)

Dave, now I'm considering the soft maple after looking at prices! I'm going to have to look at it and compare it to the hard maple.

:eusa_clapHave you tried Internet Lumber.....they are in Mocksville,NC and they will ship right to you...bought some red oak last week....stuff was beautiful....I was sceptical because I've never bought wood online but other than a mishap by truckin co everything went fine....good prices too

I'm going to try internet lumber next Tuesday. They have 84 bft of soft maple, and they are -300 bft of hard maple (high demand). I'm going to go to Mocksville and hand pick the stuff.... should be a treat. If that doesn't work, I may contact some of you that mentioned piggybacking on other orders. Thanks!

Brian

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Brian - you better hurry, buddy.

-Mark, and this >< close to finishing the crib he started in March 8-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors