Harbor Freight pocket hole jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I don't use these often so when I noticed the HF jig was about 1/2 the price of the Kreg, $65 vs $120, I thought I might give it a try. Anyone try this? I'm aware of the dangers of HF equipment but my HF DC is still working fine after nearly 10 years although the pneumatic nailer lasted about two weeks.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I have the pocket hole jig from HF for the same reasons. I do not use it a ton, but have been more than satisfied with it every time I use it. The jig is made of aluminum and seems to be relatively well built. I would expect the drill bit to wear our first especially if I used it with hardwoods. Up to this point I have really only done pocket holes on pine or plywood. I'm happy with it thus far and would recommend it.

-Bromley

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My thoughts on pocket hole jigs. There are those who bought Kreg the first time, and those who wished they had. DAMHIK! I'm still using an A-2 (the aluminum one) from 21 years ago. Bought it as we were leaving American Woodworker Show in Philly. Plane ride to Philly was only 54 minutes flying time, but ride home seemed a lot longer having just plopped down a little over a hundred on a "useless jig." To get "started" in pocket hole joinery, buy the single hole jig (about $20), which comes with both jig, bit, and stop collar, and then buy a set of HF swivel pad vise grips. You will be good to go. Klingspor, HD, and Lowes all sell the single hole jig.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
I looked at the HF jig but ended up with the Kreg double hole jig. Lowe's was giving away a free clamp with the jig purchase so for $30?? I did it. I've built probably two projects with it and it's fast enough, cheap enough and I'm happy with it.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Years ago I bought a referb Porter-Cable Pro machine. It has served me well. I don't do that many pocket holes but the price was right. Having said that, I had a project a few years ago that my super-duper P-C machine could not do. A pocket hole in a chair spindle. What solved the problem? A Kreg small single hole jig. There you have it. When you say "pocket holes" you say Kreg.

Pop

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Having built several shop cabinets using the Kreg R3 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J43A7W/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_3_w), I would suggest it over the HF one you are looking at. Think of it this way. The HF jig is designed for you to maneuver the board inside the jig. You position the R3 where you need the pocket hole to be on the board. I've looked at Kreg's K4 and K5 systems which are similar in design to the HF jig and still use the R3. I just think the R3 is easier to maneuver to make the pocket holes than any of the bench mount systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS