Happy student

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My student this week took a class at a highly respected school and learned little for the very high cost.

We spent the day today learning the traditional turning tools, sharpening, and turning in pine and maple.

I had a great time and I think she did too. She left with a small table leg to practice making duplicates and a smile on her face.

F5DD74E9-16DC-4AC7-8C1D-AD98F19015F7.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's me!!! Thank you so much for your instruction AND PATIENCE Mike! This newbie will definitely will be back!
@brendajotb that spindle loos great, I even think I see a little shiny spot where you were "riding the bevel" good teacher, GREAT student!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Correct, no sandpaper on that spindle.
I can see it (compressed fibers indicative of the bevel properly riding the wood) on the bead or round end of (what I call) the vase section of the spindle...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We did the demo, learning, and practice in pine at about 50 rpm and much slower. That gives you a chance to see the edge of the tool cutting fibers and what different presentation of the tool does to the wood. When you can make a smooth polished cut in pine at low speed you know you have the technique correct. People who say you have to speed up to get a clean cut do not know how to turn.

Then we made a couple spinning tops to warm up and gain confidence.

Finally we sketched a spindle, roughed a maple blank, marked a layout on the blank and did the finished cuts at medium speed.

A very different approach from the failed class she had taken somewhere else. Fortunately I didn’t have to fight bad habits since there had not been much instruction before.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I wish I knew more about it. The only tag I ever found was a small copper oval embossed with “Chambers Aircraft”.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors