Hanging a corner cupboard.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
getting ready to start on a hanging corner cupboard out of mahogany and am curious as to how others mount these to the walls. I am thinking about incorporating dual French cleats into the design so that it will be anchored from both sides. If I do this, the cabinet cleats will have to be inset so that the cupboard will attach flush to the wall. What do you all think? I have a pic of what it will look like when finished and based on the design, it looks like there will be room to inset the cleats at the top so it won't mess up the sides. This is what the lady gave me to go by and she said I can put my own special touches on it.

03-18-2006030907PM.jpg

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I like the french cleat hanging system. It's strong, and easily movable if you ever wanted to.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike,
Here is a previous post where the same topic was discussed. You might find a couple additional ideas there.

If you go the french cleat route you may want to take a hard look at the corner the cabinet will be hung in to make sure it is square. It might even be worth your while to make a cardboard template that will fit into the corner and take it back to the shop with you. You might have to make the two cabinet backs < or > 90° I hope this helps.

D L

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L Ames said:
If you go the french cleat route you may want to take a hard look at the corner the cabinet will be hung in to make sure it is square. It might even be worth your while to make a cardboard template that will fit into the corner and take it back to the shop with you. You might have to make the two cabinet backs < or > 90° I hope this helps.

D L

D L that is excellent advice :icon_thum Especially if the house is old, like a year or so, you won't find a square corner :lol:
Mike if you take that suggestion and then inset your cleat above the main cabinet opening so it won't affect the lines of the interior, you'll be all set. I look forward to the pictures. If you have time document the construction I am really interested in the top and how you do the mullions.
Thanks, Dave:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
In that corner there should be 3 studs forming a rough column behind the drywall. Your cabinet should have a 'backbone' board covering the 90 and bracing the corner since you can't reinforce from the rear and keep the back flush. I put long screws thru the backbone (behind a shelf) into the corner and a couple of screws into drywall hangers toward the edges.
Or you could incorporate nailing cleats inside; like kitchen cabinets if the unit is large enough to span the wall studs.
Joe

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have made 4 corner cabinets and every single time the walls were horrendously out of square. After the first one, I allow 3/4 inch on each side for trimming/adjustment to the wall. I haven't used french cleats to do them before as I have always screwed into the studs to pull them up.

All of the ones I have built were full sized. Getting all those parts and stuff together half the time I would think I was building a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors