Handsaw sharpening workshop with Richard Moore (Graywolf)

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have worked it out with Eric the manager of the Klingspor store in Winston Salem to have the Handsaw Sharpening Workshop!
Date: November 9
Time: 9am-4pm we will take a 30min lunch
Cost: $120.00 payable to Klingspor when you sign up for the workshop. You can either call them or go by the store to enroll.
Class size: 6 max, minimum of 4
There will be a wait list started if we have enough interest then we will offer it again in the near future.
Material and tools needed: I strongly suggest a binocular magnifier of say 4X magnificent, some of the teeth start looking small after a while and this helps. If you don't have one then Klingspor sales them. Western style saws if you have them. I will have some handsaws on hand to practice on. Saw files if you have them with handles, this is for your safety and comfort. I will have some files on hand for use in the workshop.

We will cover nomenclature and terms of saws with tooth geometry. This is so we will have the language of saws.
Setting up a sharpening station, for comfort, safety, and efficiency.
Choosing files
Choosing the right vice, to make one or to buy one. Buying?, New or Used
Sundry items for a sharpening set up
The steps in assessing your saw
Jointing and why it's important
Rake angles and which are best for different uses
Fleam angles, what is it and why do I need it, which are best for my use.
The steps of shaping teeth
The steps of sharpening and setting your saw teeth
The final steps, stoning the teeth
Testing your saw.

I will have sawvises on hand to use during this workshop, they are of different sizes and styles so you can see and feel what is available.

I will post a chart on saw files later today, my tablet is acting a little spooky at the moment and will not let me.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

this is a table of file sizes and how they relate to saw tooth size.

jwallwork

John
Corporate Member
I have worked it out with Eric the manager of the Klingspor store in Winston Salem to have the Handsaw Sharpening Workshop!
Date: November 9
Time: 9am-4pm we will take a 30min lunch
Cost: $120.00 payable to Klingspor when you sign up for the workshop. You can either call them or go by the store to enroll.
Class size: 6 max, minimum of 4
There will be a wait list started if we have enough interest then we will offer it again in the near future.
Material and tools needed: I strongly suggest a binocular magnifier of say 4X magnificent, some of the teeth start looking small after a while and this helps. If you don't have one then Klingspor sales them. Western style saws if you have them. I will have some handsaws on hand to practice on. Saw files if you have them with handles, this is for your safety and comfort. I will have some files on hand for use in the workshop.

We will cover nomenclature and terms of saws with tooth geometry. This is so we will have the language of saws.
Setting up a sharpening station, for comfort, safety, and efficiency.
Choosing files
Choosing the right vice, to make one or to buy one. Buying?, New or Used
Sundry items for a sharpening set up
The steps in assessing your saw
Jointing and why it's important
Rake angles and which are best for different uses
Fleam angles, what is it and why do I need it, which are best for my use.
The steps of shaping teeth
The steps of sharpening and setting your saw teeth
The final steps, stoning the teeth
Testing your saw.

I will have sawvises on hand to use during this workshop, they are of different sizes and styles so you can see and feel what is available.

I will post a chart on saw files later today, my tablet is acting a little spooky at the moment and will not let me.
Signed up at the store today. :)

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump, we have openings left for this workshop. If you've been interested in learning how to resharpen any of your western styled handsaws, this is the opportunity to do so. Please check it out and join us in November for a great day of learning.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
If your Lie-Nielsen, Bad Axe, Veritas, et al saws aren't cutting quite like they used to, you should consider taking this class. You'll be able to sharpen your saw in less time than it takes for you to get it to a saw doctor.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Rob! I look forward to seeing you as well.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have two slots open for this workshop if anyone is interested. I've been spending time getting things ready for this and Klingspor Extravaganza. Both will be a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing everyone.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS