Handle for Asian Digging Hoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
With all the gardener/woodworkers here I thought maybe someone whose Google-fu is strong might point me in the right direction.

I need a new handle for my digging hoe. It has an non standard eye [see photos]. Looking for something at least 60" long. Or where could I get a 60"+ 2x2 of hickory or ash in the WS area to carve my own?
It was made in Thailand by "Crocodile-Anchor". Eye is slightly tapered and measure 1.75" x 1.875". I have checked the store where I got it plus a few other asian supply stores and have drawn a blank.:BangHead:

Click to enlarge:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: Handle for Asian Hoe

I could probably cut a small hickory tree for you if you don't find anything else. Or maybe some yellow locust?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark

Mike, Thank You for the offer,

I will take you up on that if I can't find either a replacement handle or a dried blank.

Actually, I had been using a dried black ash sapling,it works, but it is not straight and uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

I just tried to use a fresh cut Willow Oak(?) sapling but it turned out to be full of knots and it is just tearing itself apart as it dries. So, I think if I go the sapling route, I will need to cut them and let them dry for a season or two.

nelsone

New User
Ed

Wasn't really sure what I was going to find when I opened this thread!:eek:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I was thinking something a little bigger than a sapling. Maybe a 6 inch to 10 inch trunk that could be split into staves, debark, seal and let dry a few months.

Then again, a locust sapling could work, I may even have some dead locust that would work well and not need drying.

Just need a day to walk the property and see what is out there.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark

You got that right.

I can't Google the term "asian hoe" with anyone else in the room. I changed the title, but you folks are warned

Did manage to find a factory in china (Tombo) that makes a seemingly similar head and handle. It is branded "B. C**k" model H301, but I can't find a US source. Maybe someone will find a lead for me.

ck1999

Chris
User
I am not sure where to find handles. but you may want to search for

Cangkul or Pacul.

They seem to be what you have.

Chris

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
what about the hardwood store of nc? they may even have some "leftovers" in that size for either ash or hickory.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I am going to check a couple of wood sources to see what they have.

I did have another thought.

If I can find a handle in the 60" range, what would be the possibility of gluing up several pieces of maple on the end and shaping that back o fit?

Or possibility #2: Join the handle to a larger billet of wood with a long scarf joint. I think this is less desirable due to failure on or near the scarf. I would probably use resorcinol glue for the splice.

Any thoughts on modifying an existing handle to make it work?

Springs coming and I need to fluff the garden.!

Mike: If you would please keep an eye out as you walk the property. I think it might be a good idea to go ahead and make a couple of handles or at least have a couple of blanks drying in the eaves.

wayne

New User
wayne
Mark

How much would a piece of staircase handrail cost. That would be a nice straight piece of oak and about the right size. someone like smith-phillips probably has it in stock.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS