Hand Tool Wall Cabinet - Humidity Regulation

cmboggs

Chris
User
Since there seems to be an abundance of hand tool wall cabinets being made these days, what do people use for humidity regulation and/or rust prevention?

I know the best thing is to do it to keep the tools clean and dry. But I've seen a few gadgets that are meant to maintain a low humidity environment for tool storage. These range anywhere from heating rods to light bulbs that are always kept on. It just seems awful to spend all the time and effort in designing/constructing a wall cabinet for it just to be a rust trap.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
As long as the tools are kept clean and oiled there shouldn't be a problem. Since I installed my wall cabinets several years ago I have had no rust on my tools and I am using an unheated garage for my shop. Dust attracts moisture and moisture causes rust.

Christopher Schwarz actually discusses this in one of his books, not sure if Anarchist Tool Chest or another one.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Besides that, many of those gadgets don't work, but do eat some electrons. When I was in RVN, back in '69, we could get heating rods to put in our wall lockers to keep the humidity down (not because of rust, but because of mold). Totally ineffective. In fact, warming the area in the high humidity seemed to have the opposite effect. I wouldn't expect them to work better for rust prevention.

I realize I may be comparing apples to oranges, but tagging on to what Mike said, keeping them in closed area tht reduces dust is probably all that's needed. Since I found cabinet space for my planes, I no longer have the rust problem I used to have when they sat under the work bench.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I collect the small desiccant packets that are found in all kinds of consumer products, clothes, etc.
Put a couple of those in each drawer and cabinet.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
From the research i did in long term food storage those packets are only effective in a vacuum.

They absorb the moisture in the air which in a vacuum is a small amount. But in open air they absorb the moisture available then more moisture enters the space and they reach a saturation state then no more moisture can be absorbed, but the air is continually moving and bringing in more moisture. An airtight container helps and constantly recharging the packet helps to a point. You can recharge the packets either by microwaving on low until the packet weighs less or dehumidifying in a machine made for that purpose such as Excaliber or your stove oven on lowest setting. However, in an environment where humidity is present they will need to be recharged every day or so.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Mike is def. right about silica dessicants, and same is true with drierite. You don't need a vacuum, but you do need an airtight container for them to be effective.

Just give your planes a rub down with an oily rag every once in a while.

cmboggs

Chris
User
It sounds like the best solution is the simplest solution. Keeping the dust out with a simple lip on the chest opening is probably the best way to go. This is what Christopher Schwartz (and Mike) was talking about to keep the tools clean while they were in storage.

I’ll have to look into using those ‘socks’ while I get my hand tool cabinet together.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
It may be a marketing gimmick, but on an episode of A Craftsman’s Legacy featured Gerstner tool chests. One of the highlighted features of wooden toolboxes was that they create a micro environment that kept tools from rusting, which is why machinists preferred to use them for their tools.

If not just a gimmick I think a wooden wall tool cabinet would create the same micro environment.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It all depends on your climate and humidity level.

I've used both humidity rods and dissicant neither did a very good job. There are rust inhibiting drawer liners that I actually think work pretty well.

Until I moved all my hand tools into a climate controlled room, corrosion was a constant problem for me.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
We use this @ work.... something like this - the type we use is blue. They put in a baby sock and then set in a tiny box top. After a month or so they dry them in our weld rod pre-dryer (150 deg) for 45 min or so. That way the field guys do not get popping/sputtering weld rods when welding due embedded moisture.
You can re-dry in an oven just need to keep the temp between 150 -180deg.

Me? I have been using a preventative on my tools and saw tops about once every couple of months, but then, unlike some of you I do not have a massive obsession compulsion tool possession disorder ......... well I do, just do not have the money to support the habit . . . yet ..... :p :D;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS