Hand Plane / Sharpening Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I have one of my late grandpa's hand plane that I want to restore. It's an old Sears so I'm sure it is nothing fancy. It does say made in the USA though which is cool. The two biggest areas I need help are flattening the sole and blade sharpening. The rest is cosmetic. I've never sharpened any knives or chisels before and are eager to learn. If anyone in the Raleigh area will be doing something similar or have a day coming up they will be doing some sharpening and would not mind me peaking over your should please let me know.<br><br>I'm in the Knightdale area but do not mind driving a bit.

Thank You

Last edited:

ste6168

New User
Mike
I, too, need to attend a chisel/plane sharpening class, as well as a basic hand plane use class.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Will be pleased to give a demo, mid March.

Completely damaged plane iron:

Set up jig on a CBN wheel 3 minutes
Grind on CBN wheel 30 seconds.
Hone a secondary bevel on a 4000 water stone 3 minutes
Set up and tune in hand plane, probably another 3 minutes

Done

Jeff

New User
Jeff
NCWW member Chris C is in Ayden, NC and he may chime in here. He does a lot of refurbishing old planes and chisels to make them work.

Paul Sellers has an interesting video about where to start (flattening the sole and sharpening the blade).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYyV6IUpsYk

Last edited:

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
If someone wants to do a demo or offer sharpening services at the Mid-Winter Blahs picnic in February I can bring a work table and a slow speed grinder with a wolverine attachment. I'll probably bring a lathe and let one of the kids teach pen turning to whoever is interested as well.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have one of my late grandpa's hand plane that I want to restore. It's an old Sears so I'm sure it is nothing fancy. It does say made in the USA though which is cool. The two biggest areas I need help are flattening the sole and blade sharpening. The rest is cosmetic. I've never sharpened any knives or chisels before and are eager to learn. If anyone in the Raleigh area will be doing something similar or have a day coming up they will be doing some sharpening and would not mind me peaking over your should please let me know.<br><br>I'm in the Knightdale area but do not mind driving a bit.

Thank You

Depending on how old that Craftsman is it could be a Miller's Falls or Sargent made for Sears. If so, it should be a good user. Post a pic if you can.... I'd like to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS