Hand Plane score

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
OK - so some of you know that my *other* hobby is Amateur Radio - so this morning I was at a ham radio picnic / swap fest. As I was browsing the tables of used gear for sale/trade/barter, I came across the hand planes you see below. I asked the older gentleman at the table how much he wanted for them and before he could finish $10.00 each - I had the cash out of my wallet.:gar-Bi

Near as I can tell (I am NOT a hand plane guy - I just started getting into older hand tools) the one on the left is a Stanley No 5 Bailey jack plane and the one on the right is a No 605 1/2 Bedrock jack plane.

I've only been able to find limited info on the 605 - from the markings on it, it appears to be made somewhere between 1900 and 1908.

So the mission for you hand plane gurus is to educate me on these two jewels and fill me in on how to go about cleaning them up and tuning them - aside from the obvious iron re-grind / sharpen.

080.JPG

View image in gallery

Thanks guys and gals!
Chris

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
605 1/2 is a rare find worth $175 or more on evil buoy.

It is a wider version of the #6 with a more easily adjustable frog.

I'd definitely keep that one. For $10 you did great!

Doesn't look like either one needs much clean up, just sharpen the blade and put them to work.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
That is one heck of a deal you got there.

Lot's of people go crazy for those Bedrock planes for some reason.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations, Chris. That is one incredible steal. :eusa_danc Hand planes at a ham radio event: who'd a thunk it. :icon_cheers

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors