Hand plane restoration

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I just finished restoring my first hand plane. It’s a Stanley Bailey 5 1/4 hand plane with April 1910 date. Man that was cool to do. Loved the whole process and finally watching it take thin shavings. Ready for my next one. Lol

Attachments

• D152EF69-5679-4BA2-AA3C-7EAF807EA7AB.jpeg
    D152EF69-5679-4BA2-AA3C-7EAF807EA7AB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 262
  • 4B2BB0A6-D9D1-4C29-B0B0-6FB2315E450F.jpeg
    4B2BB0A6-D9D1-4C29-B0B0-6FB2315E450F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 264

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Do you guys think I should replace the blade? The back end of it appears to have been peened over. The side shifting lever hits it and makes that hit the handle. What blade do you recommend I replace it with?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I can't even imagine how or why someone abused that blade that way.

That said, the blade needs replacing IMO. For me it would depend on whether the plane was going to be a user or a shelf sitter restoration. For a shelf sitter I'd start on eBay with New Hamphire Plane Parts (nhplaneparts). I've bought quite a few plane parts from him and he's a really good guy. He'd likely have the correct blade for that plane, but possibly not the same year.

For a user plane it's hard to beat a Hock blade.

Nice restoration, Sam. Looks good.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Lot's of blade options.
You can easily file off the peened over edges on the top of that iron.
OEM Stanley irons are still available, new and vintage for the period. I probably have one in my stash if you want to go that route.
After market irons are available from lot's of sources, Hock, Lee Valley (Veritas), etc. If you decide on an aftermarket iron, also consider an aftermarket chip breaker/cap iron.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just general info, based on one patent date and no raised ring under the knob, this looks like a type 13, manufactured between 1925 and 1928

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been happy with my blades, and chip breakers, from Lee Valley. As others have suggested, you can grind off the mushrooming. You may be happy with the blade that you have.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd file away or grid away the waste and see how it looks and or feels. If you just can't live with it then you have several great choices in blades. Myself I'd use the Veritas PMV11 blade with chip breaker is a winner in all levels of performance. Good luck and show us the finished product.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the input. I think I will remove the mushroomed portion as suggested by many of you first and see how I like it. I am new to hand tools and don’t have much to compare it to so it will probably be fine for now.
Any of you have old vintage hand planes that you thought you were going to restore but don’t have the time and are willing to part with? I currently only have this 5 1/4 and a new block plane and would like to have a few more. Maybe a smoother and joiner to start. Thanks everyone.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have a type 17 WWII vintage Bailey#7 that I picked up a while back along with a matching #5. The #5 is nice...the #7 was really rough but I only gave $10 for the pair.

20190915_141515.jpg

20190915_125008.jpg

I had to drill out and tap one of the frog retaining screws but it holds just fine.

Yours if you want it...$0. Only condition is you have to pick it up or have it picked up.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I have a type 17 WWII vintage Bailey#7 that I picked up a while back along with a matching #5. The #5 is nice...the #7 was really rough but I only gave $10 for the pair.

View attachment 189271

View attachment 189272

I had to drill out and tap one of the frog retaining screws but it holds just fine.

Yours if you want it...$0. Only condition is you have to pick it up or have it picked up.
Chris, That is very generous of you and yes I'd love to have it. Wonder if anyone could ponyexpress my way? Only thing is I'm leaving Sunday for John C. Campbell for a carving class and that is in the opposite direction. When I return I will get back with you and see what I can do about picking it up. Again, Thanks!
Thanks, Sam.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'll hold it for you. .... No worries.

Make no mistake ... It's rough and could use some tlc. But it's sharp and works as it should. It's a shame really... It's a nice thick war casting. That makes them excellent users and they are sought-after for that very reason.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I just finished restoring my first hand plane. It’s a Stanley Bailey 5 1/4 hand plane with April 1910 date. Man that was cool to do. Loved the whole process and finally watching it take thin shavings. Ready for my next one. Lol

You did a great job on it!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS