Hand plane question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
As Bryan suggested, I would contact James Davis and see what he has available. Then I would start scouring flea markets and estate auctions for others. The problem w/ buying something online that you can't inspect closely is that you might get what is known as a "frankenplane". That's one that has been created by taking spare parts from various other planes to assemble a "new" one. It may look good in a picture, but if the parts aren't a perfect match, it won't perform very well.

HTH

Bill

I think for frankenplane, it's the resale value got hit the most

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Right, I have a couple frankenplanes that work fine. Of course they took a little extra time to fettle. But, like Chris said it is either a matter of time or money and sometimes both.

I like the hunt, I like to refurbish tools and I enjoy using them but I don't have the money to go out and buy top of the line new tools. I probably spent less than the cost of one new Lie-Nielsen plane for all of my planes and I have quite a few. Well, except the circular plane. I did spend over $100 for that one.

Last edited:

skeeter

New User
Charles
Now I really am confused. Sounds like I should take Mike's advice and go to one of the sharpening/planing classes. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Now I really am confused. Sounds like like I should take Mike's advice and go to one of the sharpening/planing classes. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

Charles, if you can make it, we have a sharpening workshop coming up in June (either the 9th or 16th). We'd love to have you join us.

While the focus is on sharpening all cutting edge hand tools (except saws), we still manage to do a good bit of practical use of them also. You gotta make sure they are actually sharp, right. :wink_smil So if you have some old planes, chisels, spokeshaves, etc., bring them along. If not, come anyway and you'll get to practice w/ a bunch of different ones.

Bill

PS: we sometimes have people show up w/ tools to sell, so you might go home w/ more than you came with. :gar-Bi

Timmy

New User
Tim
Charles. Look at all these handplanes in this link. They are old, but fixed up they cut like a charm and look brand new. And the prices this guy pays for them are bottom dollar so he can spend a little money to fix them up. Great hand planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS