hand Plane on ebay

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
I have been looking to get my first jack plane and jointer plane. I have been looking at the grizzley ones. They have two options one with a smooth sole and one with a serrated sole. What are your thoughts on this? Also in my searchings I found this hand plane on eBay. What are your thoughts on it?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I think the general consensus is that corrugated soles were a marketing gimmick and have no effect on plane performance. (Though it may aid in lapping the sole quicker if that's necessary, but hope upon hopes that it's not.) I have a corrugated #3 and #7, and normal #4 and #5. There's no difference in my experience. That ebay plane is a knockoff, not a Stanley or a Sargent, so it's really not possible to say how good or bad it might be. For 99 cents though you sure could roll the dice! If nothing else, basically any #5 plane can bake an OK fore plane for rough dimensioning of wood. I would lean toward getting an old Stanley, but I must say I'm surprised by how good the Grizzly reviews are.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
99 cents is cheap but $19 is too much for shipping. Plenty places to get a much better plane for a little more.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
ooo yea missed the $20 shipping detail... classic blunder.

If you're up in the RDU area ever, Ed Lebetkin's tool store in Pittsboro is the tops but in my experience he's a little expensive. There's a guy in Rolesville on the Raleigh craigslist who is often selling nice planes fixed up... lots of members have bought from him and he will ship, not $20. Not too long ago there were a lot of folks selling some nice old planes in the For Sale section here. I'd look there and see if any are still available.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Probably easiest way to get a good plane at reasonable price is to go to Pittsboro.

If you have time to search flea markets and antique malls you may get a lower price but will need some work to make a good user.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Does Klingspor's still have their table of old hand tools? Lots of planes when I was there last.

Roy G

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
I will be headed toward Raleigh/ Durham around the 21st. I was planning on going by Klingpors while down there. Where is Ed Lebetkin's tool store in Pittsboro?
Also my mom will be flying in to help my wife and I when our daughter is born. She will be flying into Charlotte late on the 2nd as of right now, could be sooner. Are there any good stores to look at there?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS