Hand held power planer - Opinions? ( EDIT - used the HF one and .... )

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Anyone have a hand-held power planer they can 'recommend'?
(EDIT - the question is still valid, and open for discussion; I have just borrowed one and will see what the results are. END EDIT)
2nd EDIT - posted at thebottom of the thread - my initial experience with the HF tool - end EDIT

I have a project to re-use / re-claim some church pew materials (maple I believe); these have a curvy front surface that I want to (mostly) flatten. I have managed with an old door planer (limited to edges) and a hand plane so far. That 'success' was on about 4 feet and I have about 20' more that I'd like to do (eventually, in the short to medium term, doesn't have to be immediate).

These glued up pieces are about 18-19"" wide (can't recall exactly) and have two low valleys and two high edges, with a 'ridge' in between; I need to remove 1/8-1/4" for a 3-4" swath on each edge and about 1/8" through the middle (also 3-4' swath).

Yes I know a large planer could handle this easily, and I have already done one piece that way ( a few years ago; not my planer). That involves a lot more material handling and I am choosing alternate methods now.

So it seems that a combination of a power planer, hand plane, and sanding may be the way to go - but my door planer is limited to about a 2" swath and will not cut 'in the field', only edges.

Seem like (in approx low-high price order) there are current choices of:
<$100: Wen (2 or more models), PC, Craftsman, and Ryobi (all in the $55-75 range); HF has at least one 'Drill master" under $50 + a cordless model Bauer but neither really appeals to me.
<$200: Bosch, DeWalt are in $150-175 or so are are in Lowe's; did not check HD for stock
<$300: Milwaukee at $225 or so, but that's quite frankly more than I want to spend on this for my expected usage.
There may be others, (Festool?) but not at the right value point for me - so out of contention.

Advice? These are not particularly common items on CL.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the WEN. Shoot gets clogged up pretty easy, but it works fine. You can get aftermarket blades for it cheap.

Or one can use a hand saw and finish with a hand plane.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have the WEN. Shoot gets clogged up pretty easy, but it works fine. You can get aftermarket blades for it cheap.

Use a handsaw? On the large face of an 18" piece? Please explain.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have the Porter Cable corded and the Ridgid cordless, both do fine, I don't use the bagger cause it clogs too fast, so I just let it blow the shavings out. Both are real easy to get away from you and do more damage than good if you don't pay attention, and are easy to end up with snipe at the end of material as the planer runs out of wood.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a makita that cuts 3+" wide with the fence removed. Not for sale but you can use it here. Also have 20" planer and drum sander if you're up for a ride

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a makita that cuts 3+" wide with the fence removed. Not for sale but you can use it here. Also have 20" planer and drum sander if you're up for a ride
Cool - thanks Fred... I will get back to you if that generous offer is what I choose (amongst several offers).

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member

Misread. Thought it was an edge.
So, scrub plane, #7, followed by #4 and finish with a scraper. Or the WEN which is crude but works. Follow with a belt sander I guess. I did not understand scrub planes until recently. They are so easy and fast, I don't drag out the WEN much. I use it to rough out rough cut before going into the planer as it is quicker than the many small passes to get things close.

Echd

C
User
I have used my cheap WEN a few times and it worked fine, but I learned very quickly that it tended to do a lot more damage than good.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have used my cheap WEN a few times and it worked fine, but I learned very quickly that it tended to do a lot more damage than good.
Another vote for a scrub plane. :)

Of course, there is always making a router "planer" jig.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a 4" Wen I bought for roughing in, also have a Makita 3.25"
The Wen is cheap cost wise, but after so much use, you really need to change the blades out to something to something better (Carbide Blades) between the 2 costs, it was less than 1/2 the cost of my Makita.

The finish is ok but, I really only use this tool for getting close then either go to a plane or something else for final finishing.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have a 4" Wen I bought for roughing in, also have a Makita 3.25"
The Wen is cheap cost wise, but after so much use, you really need to change the blades out to something to something better (Carbide Blades) between the 2 costs, it was less than 1/2 the cost of my Makita.

The finish is ok but, I really only use this tool for getting close then either go to a plane or something else for final finishing.
Did not know about carbide blades. Much thanks. As I use it for rough and carpentry, they get nicked a lot.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... The finish is ok but, I really only use this tool for getting close then either go to a plane or something else for final finishing.
That's my aim - rough stock removal.
I saw the surface finish that my 'door plane' created on the edges and knew immediately that this was not a fine finish tool.
Another vote for a scrub plane. :)

Of course, there is always making a router "planer" jig.
Hmm.... I hadn't reall considered a router jig, but I think the planer bit is about as expensive as a cheap hand power plane.

Scrub plane - I like the idea, but my hand-plane (set-up) experience is limited.
I have several - two of which jam shavings and one of which will produce fine shavings day after day. The 3' of stock prep I did accomplish was done in part with this blade set. But it is likely set way too fine for rough stock removal - and I want to have a plane set for fine work.
That will get many of you to encourage me to get those other planes into usable status - and I'd like to do that. My efforts so far have not been successful. In time I will learn enough to fine tune these to and get them working well. Two are Jack planes and one is a longer #7 I think. One is a Footprint, one a Stanley, and one a Stanley handyman. The blade set that works can be used in any of these plane bodies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would set up one of the #5 as a scrub, if that is the handyman so much the better. They are not great at fine tuned fine shavings but work very well as a scrub since less close tolerance machining is required for a scrub plane.

The #7 would be good for flattening.

I can show you how to tune and use them or we may be able to find someone closer to your home.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I would set up one of the #5 as a scrub, if that is the handyman so much the better. They are not great at fine tuned fine shavings but work very well as a scrub since less close tolerance machining is required for a scrub plane.

The #7 would be good for flattening.

I can show you how to tune and use them or we may be able to find someone closer to your home.
Thanks Mike.
Eventually I will get these planes working, and it will likely take a 'Mike Davis' session to finally accomplish that!

Does 1/4 - 3/8 " stock removal on 3 pieces 8' long (19" wide) sound like a job for a scrub plane?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS