Hand Chisel Storage

jimb97239

jimb
Senior User
Hi All,
I'm new to the group ... I have a question.
I've been trying to clean up and organize my (small) work space.
One of the things I'm trying to find a better solution to is storage for my hand chisels. I'm wondering if anyone has any comments about something that has worked well for them.
I want the tools to be readily portable, so wall/pegboard won't work for me.
I've considered cutting the guts out of an old blow-molded tool case and trying to make dividers for the chisels, but that feels clunky.

thanks in advance for your input.

Claus

Claus
User
I’m almost ashamed to admit that I call myself a woodworker but I still keep chisels in the original cardboard etc packages that they came in.

Especially since it would be such a great project to build a dedicated box for them (some amazing examples have appeared on this forum).
Here’s just a short list of joinery options - butt joint, mitered corners (with splines, or not), box joint, dovetail (that clunky DT jig or try hand cut). Seems I have every piece of scrap I ever cut, surely there’s some boards in that pile that would work. And hey, it’s a shop tool, not an heirloom, who cares if it has a some mistakes character.

Thanks for the inspiration. I think I’ll run out to that scrap pile and start digging…

—Claus

jimb97239

jimb
Senior User
I’m almost ashamed to admit that I call myself a woodworker but I still keep chisels in the original cardboard etc packages that they came in.

Especially since it would be such a great project to build a dedicated box for them (some amazing examples have appeared on this forum).
Here’s just a short list of joinery options - butt joint, mitered corners (with splines, or not), box joint, dovetail (that clunky DT jig or try hand cut). Seems I have every piece of scrap I ever cut, surely there’s some boards in that pile that would work. And hey, it’s a shop tool, not an heirloom, who cares if it has a some mistakes character.

Thanks for the inspiration. I think I’ll run out to that scrap pile and start digging…

—Claus
Thanks Claus,
you can hold your head up regarding using the original cardboard box, I have two sets, one is in a crude 'knife block' style holder I knocked together in haste after the cardboard box wore out, but the other was in its plastic blister pack until it finally gave up the ghost.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I keep mine in a tool rack that looks like this
15707B96-4DC4-4FCF-B90B-60CE7EF7B0C1.jpeg

When I travel I put what need in a tool roll. When in the shop I like them within reach. I hope this helps.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's some shots of a couple of chisel blocks I made a while back. The plastic one for utility chisels was made last year. Wood would have been just as good. The one for carving chisels had a date on the bottom: March 1988. At one point I added another row for the smaller chisels. Both work nicely for their intended purpose. I too got tired of the slots on the wall and the trips back and forth, particularly the carving chisels.
There's many ways to make these stands. Make them in such a way that when your chisel inventory changes (and it will), you won't be annoyed when you have to toss the old one and make a new one.

1      chisel stand - 1.jpg

1      chisel stand - 2.jpg

1      chisel stand - 3.jpg

1      chisel stand - 4.jpg

1      chisel stand - 5.jpg

1      chisel stand - 6.jpg

1      chisel stand - 7.jpg

Richo B

New User
Richo
I have three ways I keep my chisels. One is the tool roll as suggested earlier, another set is kept in the Dutch Chest for easy access and third I have a rolling tool cart that keeps them safe and ready in the workshop. No more cutting my hand on the blades by accident and they're easy at hand.
3-Tool Roll open_8.18.18_02.jpg
Chisel & Gouge roll
Altered top for Stanley 6_1.16.21.jpg
In Dutch Chest tool box
Loaded for WWing_7.16.17_03.jpg
Rolling Tool cart

jimb97239

jimb
Senior User
thanks for all of the comments ... I'm still going go need to mull this one over ... I like some of the carriers shown, have to think how to adapt to my use. Tool rolls seem to be the popular choices, but I don't like them in my case because they don't stack well with other tools/boxes. if I end up in a bigger shop someday, that can change.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use this
It attaches to the back of my workbench with a French cleat and then can be removed if I need them elsewhere. The slots are made to fit each individual chisel from 1/4" to 1-1/2".
Ken (@KenOfCary) are the chisels sitting or registering on the blade edges? or is the bottom of the mortise that holds the chisels open?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i made a rack to hold mine, then mounted to one of the cabinet doors in my shop.

Attachments

• 20220104_160349.jpg
    20220104_160349.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 74

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I use this
It attaches to the back of my workbench with a French cleat and then can be removed if I need them elsewhere. The slots are made to fit each individual chisel from 1/4" to 1-1/2".

I have similar holders. In my non-A/C’d shop, I did have some rusting once. Spraying the holder slots with WD-40 helped a lot.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There's a piece of the maple wood that the edges rest upon. Don't think that will dull the edges much. It's not like they're sitting on metal or anything harder than hard maple.

I guess I could have left out the bottom and let the handles hold them in place, but that would make it so I can't see the label on the chisel telling me what size it is. It is easy to quickly pick out the 1/2 or 3/4 chisel this way. Sorry the picture is too blurry to see the writing on the chisels.

Also without the bottom the rack would be less portable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS