Half way there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejones

New User
Dave
I finished the base cabinet and installed it on Sunday. Now I just need to build the open bookcase for the top. :thumbs_up

Here are the obligatory pics:

Things I have learned so far:
1) I need to slow down. Trying to get things done quickly causes me to compromise what I am doing. One of the things I like the most about woodworking is that I can work at my own pace, and not be under time pressure. Yet I still tend to put this pressure on myself :BangHead:
2) I need to improve my workbench top. I didn't realize how a little error in the flatness could cause so many problems.
3) I need a better setup for finishing. Too many issues with dust and dog hair floating around the shop.
4) My combination square isn't square. :BangHead: Reminded me to double check everything, never assume.
5) I need to slow down. Although I am mostly happy with what I have built, I know I can improve on it if I take my time.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Things I have learned so far:
1) I need to slow down. Trying to get things done quickly causes me to compromise what I am doing. One of the things I like the most about woodworking is that I can work at my own pace, and not be under time pressure. Yet I still tend to put this pressure on myself :BangHead:
2) I need to improve my workbench top. I didn't realize how a little error in the flatness could cause so many problems.
3) I need a better setup for finishing. Too many issues with dust and dog hair floating around the shop.
4) My combination square isn't square. :BangHead: Reminded me to double check everything, never assume.
5) I need to slow down. Although I am mostly happy with what I have built, I know I can improve on it if I take my time.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Dave,

That looks like top of the line work to me! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

I love posts about what people learn while they're working on a projects. Man, I can RELATE to that. :rotflm:

I kind've like an ultimatum once in a while with my projects. It definitely makes it more exciting. But yes, it can definitely compromise things at times. Sorry to hear about the combination square not being square. Definitely been there. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great job. We discussed the bookcase at dinner last Saturday but you failed to tell us haw beautiful it was:swoon::swoon:.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Those are a couple of lessons that are universal, and we have to constantly re-learn. It's whenever I rush things that I know I'm going to screw something up. I've become convinced the phrase ought to be "Measure three times, check it again and then cut." Don't ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

As for the square, yeah, been there, done that, discovered it too late. The easiest way to check a square is to take a board with one side you know is flat and straight. Set your square up alongside the board with the bottom leg pointing right. Mark a line up across the board. Flip the bottom leg so it's now pointing left and try to draw a line just next to the first line. If the two lines aren't perfectly parallel, then the square is not straight. I have a beautiful old rosewood and brass square that is pure decoration now and I use my ugly (but straight) old sweetheart Stanley steel square.

AAAndrew

sawduster

New User
Robert
Any attempt by me to do something like that would only end up in thrown tools and lots of dents in the walls :gar-La;

I learned the " slow down " thing some time ago , but it is still dang difficult to do . I can only do it by having more than one project going at a time so I can switch back and forth :mrgreen:

That looks awesome from where I sit :icon_thum

Good job :eusa_clap

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Dave great job:icon_thum I noticed that you mentioned "Slow Down " twice as a lesson learned:icon_thum My dad taught me that along time ago when he would sit me down with sime of those black felt paint by numbers sets - the time we spent together doing that is priceless - me not know at the time what he was teaching me for these later years of my life - I miss my dad:gar-Cr - Sorry about that - anyway this is about you - great job - keep up the good work and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product:eusa_danc

davejones

New User
Dave
Thanks for the compliments everybody! I am a decent photographer, so I definitely showed it in its best light. :gar-Bi

As for the slow down thing, I have definitely learned that lesson before. For some reason it's the hardest one for me to remember.:dontknow:

Not sure why I didn't check my square. I even knew the pencil trick. :slap:

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Beautiful cabinet, Dave. You deserve an Atta Boy for also including the pics:icon_thum
The lessons learned are an extra bonus. Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great looking cab, Dave :icon_thum

Just don't slow down to my level where nothing gets done :embaresse

Roger

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Nice work bro and lessons we've all learned the hard way, or soon will if we continue ww'ing. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS