Hal Taylor style rocker finally done...

llucas

luke
Senior User
Some months ago I got inspired by some rocker build posts and decided to use the Hal Taylor method....this was way above my previous abilities and ambitions. I purchased his DVD and accompanying book, found what I believed was an adequate wood supply in walnut, and set about the task.
Let me say here that doing this without the DVD and book would have taken me twice as long and have resulted in an inferior result.
I don't know how many hours I have in this project, but it is surely much more that a hundred. The wood came from a blow-down on the back of my property a few years ago...I did what I could with what I had to work with.
Below are a few pics of the result...
IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg
IMG_3815 2.jpg
IMG_3809.jpg

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Beautiful piece! I agree with the others, I love your placement of sap wood. It was obviously intentional and very well done.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I have had his plans and dvds for a couple years. I just came across them last month and decided that my winter project is to build one of the rockers.

You did a very nice job on it and hope mine comes out a nice as yours did.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Thanks for all the nice comments. I had a lot of fun doing this one. It has been a terrific learning experience.
This project is really one where the journey is the destination.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's mighty fine. It looks like it would be a good place to sit!

joec

joe
User
I have built three of the Maloof style rocker, the last one out of curly walnut and love them. If you built this one close to 100 hrs, then you are a master as I have over 200 hrs in each of mine. The hand shaping and carving does not allow a speedier end result with experience.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS