GWL Update - Week 1 and 2 (Pic heavy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Well, I told Scott I intended to try to post weekly updates with what I was doing and how I was coming along with the GWL and what with the holidays and what-not, I've already missed the first one :cool:. So here ya go - an update.

As you may recall, the transfer was made on Dec 15th at Scott's place:
GWL_004.JPG

View image in gallery

Once back in Windsor, my youngest son helped me unload and set up. We had her running that evening:

So step one was to read the book provided which is very basic, but taught me alot of things I didn't know. Once that was done, I mounted up a piece of scrap pine for some test runs:

Everything seemed good, except I couldn't get a very good cut with the roughing gouge, even after a quick touch on the grinder. I studied the pictures and descriptions in the book and looking at the grind, it looked to me like the ears??? wings??? (not sure the right terminology) were forward of the cutting sweet spot at the bottom of the gouge. That didn't seem quite right to me, so I reground the ears to bring it pack to a more square profile looking from the side, and that made all the difference. I should have taken before and after photos, but alas I could not reach the camera from the center of the vortex :rotflm:. OK, so we have the blank roughed out so I did some skew practice. Now I have to admit that the skew kinda scares me, always has and so that's probably way I never really got into turning. I seemed to do pretty well with it under Scott's watchfully eye in his shop, but I just keep getting catches. :icon_scra maybe more practice will help. You can clearly see the catches in the photos above.

OK so enough practice, let's try to make something. First a cherry Christmas tree ornament. See the skew evidence?

Next, a small bowl, oak, about 4" across. This was my first shot at a bowl, and I was a little nervous about turning the inside, but it worked out OK with the bowl gouge:

And then a shallow kinda plate (starting to get a little cocky ?? :embaresse) made from ambrosia maple from srhardwoods:

More skew practice:

Inspired by a post from Dave Peterson, I decided to do a last minute gift for LOML before shutting down the shop for the holidays. Here is a toothpick holder from Spanish Oak shipping dunnage and finished with the friction polish:

That's it for now, stay tuned for the further adventures...

C.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Great looking turnings for your first stuff of this lathe. I hope you don't use the table saw much in the pictures, because if your like most turners it becomes a horizontal surface to set turning related items on and takes half an hour just to move the stuff off so that it can be used. :gar-BiI haven't used mine in more than a year and it is piled high with stuff.
Turn Safe,
Jack

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks Jack! Actually the tablesaw got cleaned off earlier today - 'cause I'm working on a segmenting sled :elvis:.

Deeper into the vortex I swirl :rotflm:
C.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am inspired to try something different. I want to put my name in the running for the GWL for the next time period!!

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
CDPeters: Awww....shucks.....glad I was an inspiration! (I am a rank amateur, so I am keeping my projects simple until I gain more experience.)

I AM buying wood to sock away on the shelf, even if I am a little nervous about turning it just yet. It is less painful on the wallet when just a little expendable $$$ goes out at a time.

Dave Peterson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS