Guys don't do this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've had a habit of leaving stuff like rulers, etc in the well of my fence for years and years.

The other day, some how right at the end of a cut, this allen wrench somehow flipped out and landed where you see it just as I was shutting down the saw. Luckily I was leaning over toward the switch at the time. If the blade had caught it...I don't even want to think about it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 424

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Saw your post on this at lumberjocks as well (love that place). But yes, we all to often use our table saws as a workbench. Thanks a bunch for the friendly reminder of why we should go out of our way of clean up/pick up when we do.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
DrBob, I can identify...my fence becomes a perch, too. Thank you for the reminder.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I keep a couple steel rulers, 12 inch and 18 inch, on top of my rip fence too. I use them to set the fence. But my rip fence has a wooden face that is about 4 inches tall (made of melamine particle board). So there is very little risk of anything falling off the 1.5 inch rip fence up over the 4 inch high wooden face.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I also keep a few Allen wrenches and a depth gauge on the front end of my Grizzly Saw's fence, but to date, I haven't had any issues with them dropping off onto the saw (I have knocked a few of them off onto the floor). But that doesn't mean I haven't done some semi-stupid things while operating it.

The worst incident I had was a real scare, but no injury involved. I was ripping some 3/4" wide cleats from 3/4" white oak for a wine cellar I was building. For the operation, i was using a cutoff as a push stick to feed the source stock through against the fence that was set at 3/4". The blade grabbed my push stick and pulled it down into the blade insert clearance hole, busting the cast metal insert. I was very fortunate that nothing flew back. (The fence was moved back when I took this picture.) Dumb move!

100_29833.JPG

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My Exacta Fence calls out like the Siren's Song, lay that thing here! It's a great temptation, and when I do lay that ruler down, it's when I'm not using the saw. So DrBob, your safety tip for today is one I will endeavor to conform to from now on. Thank you!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I saw a suggestion - hot melt glue a magnet on the fence for tools
I haven't done it, and probably should, but I think NOT using the fence for small tool storage is the better suggestion!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
3 things lay in my fence well. A 12 inch steel rule & 2 push sticks. That's all! I have a rolling table that slides under my table extension. That's were the blade changing stuff, special push devices, height gauge, etc. resides.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS