gun stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
Hello everyone, just ordered a new walnut gun stock today from boyds, its unfinished, anyone have any tips on finishing it?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
One of my favorite finishes, no seal coat needed. 50% high gloss oil based poly and 50% straight! Acetone. Mix both in a jar real well, brush, wipe or spray... doesn't matter. After atleast 6 coats are dry. Progressivly wet sand with water starting at 600 working your way up through the grits to 2000. Buff with automotive scratch off followed by non silicone based paste wax. Should be smooth as a babies butt when your done and you should see your reflection in the finish.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
how thin is the poly/acetone mix? never tried that but it sounds like it would be something very easily sprayed

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Poly not good, wont take moisture temp changes, Helsman Spar Urethane, u can get it in spray cans, made for exterior out in the weather

jimwill48

James
For me a good ol'fashion oil finish is best..Tru-Oil.....about 10 coats or so sanded in between coats...will leave you with a rich, deep oil finish...

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
For me a good ol'fashion oil finish is best..Tru-Oil.....about 10 coats or so sanded in between coats...will leave you with a rich, deep oil finish...

What grit(s) are you sanding with in between coats and how do you finish the finish? Buffer? If so, what compounds do you use?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
how thin is the poly/acetone mix? never tried that but it sounds like it would be something very easily sprayed

50/50 or so... dries super fast and hard as a rock. I did mean to say marine based poly in my original post so keep that in mind. Just make sure you keep everything clean. Dust makes for bad finishing and will need to be sanded before applying the next coat. Sanding creates more dust which compounds the problem even further...

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Poly not good, wont take moisture temp changes, Helsman Spar Urethane, u can get it in spray cans, made for exterior out in the weather

Urethane would be a good choice - already premixed and in rattle cans...

i just prefer making my own finish - i found i can control the results better and tweak and tune to suit the project... I can also add oil based artist colors in to the finish as a tone coat(s) if needed also.

Just my personal preference is all... and we all know how i feel about that nasty 5 letter word STAIN :eek:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If the gunstock is walnut, you should consider that the color will fade, it will gradually turn grey, with exposure to sunlight. A finish with a UV inhibiter will slow this down. I would also apply at least a couple coats of finish to the inside to minimize moisture pickup and help keep the stock more stable. You will want to finsh the inletting first.

I like wipe on poly and thin oil based poly 1/3 with mineral spirits. For a walnut stock, I would use exterior poly with a UV inhibiter. The only issue with wipe on is it builds very slowly. If you want to fill the pores in walnut, you can use a filler or use a lot of coats of finish. I would use some brush on, sand it smooth and then finish with wipe on. I've also used Truoil and I like it too but I don't think it provides as much protection - but it is easier to touch up if you get a scratch.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
Thanks everyone I know I can get the deep shine I want with the marine finish but what about the tru oil? if I build it to like 10 coats and polish is it going to shine? what compound would I buff with?

JohnW

New User
John
I've used Truoil on guitar necks and gun stocks and really like the final finish. I "sand on" the first 2 or 3 coats using 400 grit wet sandpaper. Flood the stock with oil then sand in circular motion. This gets the oil down into all the pours and builds a fine slurry. Wipe off excess going cross grain so you don't remove all the slurry from the pours. Repeat a few time until you see that the grain is filled. Then continue wiping on Truoil until you have enough buildup for final finishing. That will probably be a minimum of 6 coats. For a stock I would lay down about 10 coats. Truoil has driers that allow multiple coats per day.

I rub out my stocks first with oooo steel wool, then pumice, and then rottenstone. Apply wax and you are done.

On guitar necks, my final finish is 0000 steel wool. I don't want a shiny neck because they can be sticky. An occasional rub down with steel wool gets the neck perfect for playing.

JohnW

New User
John
Forgot to mention....Truoil has some type of urethane or varnish as one of its compounds. It's not just an oil so it will build up allowiing you can buff it out to the desired finish.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Truoil sounds like a dream finish :)

How does it hold up to oil and sweat from hands? Is there any reaction with those foam covered guitar stands?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I gotta try truoil now, sounds to good to be [strike]true[/strike] tru

"Easy-to-use Tru-Oil brings out the warm, natural beauty of a wood stock and gives it the look of a deep, rich, hand-rubbed finish without the hassle. It requires an average of only three coats and dries so fast - 90 to 120 minutes per coat - that a stock can be finished in one day! Tru-Oil is a purified triple-processed blend of all-natural oils that penetrates into the grain to seal out moisture. Won’t yellow or cloud the grain, and the surface becomes harder and tougher. Apply multiple coats to produce a high-gloss finish, or for a more subdued satin finish, cut back the gloss with fine steel wool or rubbing compound, then apply Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner (sold separately). Tru-Oil is perfect for refinishing existing stocks; for an unfinished stock, first apply Birchwood Casey Clear Sealer & Filler. Minor scuffs and marks on a stock finished with Tru-Oil are easily fixed: just rub the spot gently with a pad moistened with Tru-Oil."

price griffin

New User
slick
I wanted a durable high gloss finish on a cedar stock I built and heres how it turned out erics gun.jpgerics gun 2.jpg

JohnW

New User
John
How does it hold up to oil and sweat from hands? Is there any reaction with those foam covered guitar stands?[/QUOTE]

Sweat from hands it holds up really well. I hang my guitars so not sure about reaction to plastics. I just use TruOil on my necks, not the body. I like the action I get on the neck from rubbing out TruOil with 0000 steel. Although you are a base guy so your drummer is probably bas-akwords.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS