Guess I should have started here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hey all,
My name is Chris and I'm also a yankee-transplant.
I grew up near Binghamton, NY and lived in Rochester, NY for 6 years through college and the first couple of years in "the real world".
I moved to Cary in July 2001 because, although the residents are great, upstate NY's economy and weather both suck.
Right now, I'm an analyitcal biochemist who's trying to get hired as a full-time firefighter.
For all of you complaining about your shops, consider this: my woodworking is confined to my 1 car garage I rent from my apartment complex. I have 1 outlet and no access to the breaker box when it trips. Nuf said?

To date, the project that I'm proudest of is my rather unique bar.
http://daily.webshots.com/scripts/login.fcgi?action=goto
username: barpics
password: chris
I know that's not the most convenient way to share pictures, but hey...it's what i've got.

Those pictures were taken before it was 100% finished. It took me about every other weekend for about 2 years.

-Chris

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Hey, welcome to the board :saw:. I almost ended up in upstate NY out of college and I am VERY glad I didn't.

If you want a lot easier time with your pictures, Steve is offering free space in the gallery here that is very easy to use.

And good luck on the job side :)

sapwood

New User
Roger
A Hearty Welcome Chris,

Many yankee transplants have managed to thrive in the south. Though I'm not sure Cary qualifies as southern anymore :lol:

Since you don't have much power in your shop, you might enjoy the hand tools forms :cool:

Why Not?
Sapwood

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome. Just got to "Service Requests" on the upper horiz menu and click request photo album.

R

rickc

Just curious Chris, where in upstate NY did you come from? I was born & raised in the Southern Tier. You may have told me, but the information was probably stored in burned out brain cells killed during that binge party in '82!

Rick

chris99z71

New User
Chris
rcorne01 said:
Just curious Chris, where in upstate NY did you come from? I was born & raised in the Southern Tier. You may have told me, but the information was probably stored in burned out brain cells killed during that binge party in '82!

Rick

I actually grew up in the town of Maine with a Enicott mailing address. I graduated from Maine-Endwell HS.

This may be off topic, but have you been to Roma's resturant in Cary? They're friends of the Jim Roma family of Endicott. They have speidies, real italian bread and sheet pizza that are all dead-on!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I think i've got this figured out now...

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
CARY is an acronym =
Containment Area for Relocated Yankees :lol:

I wanted to be the first say it.:eusa_danc

sapwood said:
A Hearty Welcome Chris,

Many yankee transplants have managed to thrive in the south. Though I'm not sure Cary qualifies as southern anymore :lol:

Since you don't have much power in your shop, you might enjoy the hand tools forms :cool:

Why Not?
Sapwood

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
SteveColes said:
Containment Area for Relocated Yankees

I know, even though I'm from here I almost feel like an honorary yankee. I know many more people NOT from here than the other way around.

My wife's family is all from Utica NY, and we go up north to the St Laurence river every year. I get plenty of NY italian cooking, that's for sure. :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Man, I'm behind today:slap: . WELCOME Chris and Jonz! Chris, that bar is definitely something to be proud of:eusa_clap . If you need shop space with power you are welcome to come over to mine any time, 200amp service. But if you do I want to come over to your bar...what you serving???:eusa_danc

Jonz, looking forward to your input around here, especially as the rare Cary native, I only know of one in captivity:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow. 8-O That bar ROCKS! Now we need more details: what are the door panels made of? It looks like there are some (?) metal supports under the top - is that right? Also, the contrasting square in the middle of the top - is that an inlay? Or what is it?

chris99z71

New User
Chris
insomniac said:
Wow. 8-O That bar ROCKS! Now we need more details: what are the door panels made of? It looks like there are some (?) metal supports under the top - is that right? Also, the contrasting square in the middle of the top - is that an inlay? Or what is it?

Thanks for the complements, all!
The doors are just 3/4" birch ply w/ frosted glass panels and aluminum trim. I also edge banded the doors in birch. Behind each door are two shelves on ball bearing drawer slides.
Yes, good eye! The top is 1x6 poplar around the outside also made triple thick with 1x2s at the very edge. The center is MDF with faux grey/black marble formica and glass over that. Under the top is reinforced with a light gauge 2" perf steel angle (because that's what I could get for free at the time) running the long way bolted to 1" aluminum angle the short way. I was kind of paranoid about it sagging and breaking the glass.
Also:
The legs are 4.5" OD galvanized EMT conduit with many hours of sanding, layers of black gloss rustoleum, sanding, sanding and clear gloss polycrylic.
The grid work on the front is all continuous (aspen) and it's continuous top to bottom, left to right notched to fit together.
Above the doors is a single full-width drawer that serves as a wine rack.
With the top off, the doors off and all of the drawers out it weighs about 400lbs. For some reason my friends are always busy on the weekends when I move....

sapwood

New User
Roger
chris99z71 said:
With the top off, the doors off and all of the drawers out it weighs about 400lbs. For some reason my friends are always busy on the weekends when I move....

Chris,

I'll be your friend. We just need to empty all the booze outta the cabinet before moving it. We can probably get DaveO to help, he's a big lunk!

If that's you first big project, can't wait to see more!:mrgreen:

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS