GSO CL: 4000bf wood ONE LOT $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
If anyone could arrange pickup I'd happily buy about half of this, and help with loading onto the truck, to get some wood up to Greensboro from Baden Lake: I'd mostly like some cherry, maple, and a few pieces of Walnut

Larry

AD:
:icon_cheersWoodworking Material Lumber Hardwood - $1000 (Badin Lake)

Date: 2009-08-19, 12:05PM EDT
Reply to: sale-8kxr5-1331224119@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Over 4000 bd ft of varius hardwood species from Vermont (Cherry, Walnut, Bitter Walnut, Ash, Maple, Red Oak, White Oak, etc). Air dried for over 12 years under cover. Must take all ... Need space. EXCELLENT DEAL!!! 910-571-0564

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I'd take a little, plus I have a trailer (5' X 12') to haul some of it. I don't have time to arrange it though.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Lumber calculators say that would be in the neighborhood of 16k lbs.
If we assume 50% stacking density (I have no idea what a reasonable density is...), 8 feet wide and 8 feet long the stack would be 10.5 feet high. So moving that much lumber sounds like it requires either multiple trips or a very serious truck.

Anyway, if the wood is nice for .25 ct/bd ft someone should haul the whole thing to Charlotte or Raleigh and let the denizens feast at .50 ct/bd ft :).

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
16k lbs, 8 feet wide and 8 feet long the stack would be 10.5 feet high.
Anyway, if the wood is nice for .25 ct/bd ft someone should haul the whole thing to Greensboro.... and let the denizens feast at .50 ct/bd ft :).

Unstickered in a truck would yield perhaps > 75% stacking density, so maybe 6 feet wide, 8 feet long and 7 feet high?

Given those calculator numbers, I'd be able to fit about 1000-1200 board feet into my garage, so I'd only be able to take about a quarter of the wood...

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Guys, you'll either need multiple trailers or to make multiple trips. Every 1000 bd ft weighs about the same as a 4-door sedan - figure 3,500 lbs per 1000 bd ft (more if the boards are predominantly oak or hard maple or a MC higher than 14%).

If you have a stout two axle trailer with 15" or 16" tires, you can probably move it in 3 or 4 loads.

You can physically stack more than this on the trailer, but the tires will probably blow out.

Unless the boards are extremely warped, your stacking density should be 90% or better, as long as your stack widths correlate well to the board widths.

Moving it, your capacity limitation is more weight than space.

Here are some weights for you (8% MC)
Cherry - 2,600 / 1K bd ft
Ash - 2,500 - 3000 / 1K bd ft
Walnut - 2,800 / 1K bd ft
Oak - 3,500 / 1K bd ft
Maple (hard) 3,165 / 1K bd ft

Since the wood has been air drying, more likely it's around 14% MC so it will weigh 10% - 15% more than the numbers above.

Each 1K bd ft works out to be a stack about 30" tall, 40" wide, and 10' long.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
This sounds like the old scheme of making a million bucks selling watermellons. Buy a million for a buck apiece and sell each one for two bucks. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me.:eek:ccasion1

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Don't I remember someone here making a trip to Grizzly with a very large trailer?
:gar-La;

My trailer only would hold max 3000 but I wouldn't feel comfortable hauling it a long distance but I could bring smaller loads to Greensboro.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Don't I remember someone here making a trip to Grizzly with a very large trailer?
:gar-La;
QUOTE]

Geoff - you're a troublemaker!

My problem is that I'm utterly swamped for the next few weeks - even weekends; otherwise I'd volunteer to assist.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
If anyone could arrange pickup I'd happily buy about half of this,

SOLD - I'm apparently buying it all since I got lucky in finding my neighbor's truck (24ft) and he and I are splitting the load (if the deal goes thru) - he gets the majority, but I can't argue with that (gdoebs LMK what you need), and thanks to y'all for the great advice.

Now I need to do something with the million watermelons I just bought, since I need room for all the new wood - any watermelon recipe forum on NCWW??
:gar-Bi

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Cool! I was interested in some walnut. Just shoot me a PM when you know how much you end up with and a price.

Threejs

New User
David
I seriously considered it, but have no space for it. Let me know when you settle on a price. I would like some of it for upcoming projects.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A good rule of thumb is about 3.5 lbs per board foot for kiln dried hardwood, about 5 lbs per board foot for green lumber and about 8.0 lbs per board foot Doyle scale for logs. these numbers might be a little off depending on the species but more than one truck driver has told me the same thing.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
well, looks like the deal fell thru (I was SECOND to contact the guy, and buyer from Charlotte is here today

oh well

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS