Grrr-Ripper ordered! (safest way to rip thin strip off small boards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Re: safest way to rip thin strip off small boards

I did a really lousy job explaining how many (potentially hundreds) I have to cut and that I don't want to do them all at once because I have a history of changing my focus (ooh look - a distraction! :) ) and may decide that I don't want to continue doing woodwinds after I make a few more. I also should not have titled it "thin strip" when I meant a 1" x 1" board.

However, your point is well taken in that I am accepting someone's gracious offer to demo a jig to me and cut up a few of them and I could drop by Salem's and cut up some more on the bandsaw and have enough blanks to keep me busy quite a while.

CarvedTones

Andy
Re: safest way to rip thin strip off small boards

Hey, Andy... if you happen to find a good deal (incl. S&H), could you post your source? I noted there are two models. The GR200 looks to be around $70. The GR100... about $60. I just randomly selected a few of their suppliers and noted Klinspor sells the GR100 for $50.

There was another thread on the GRR-Ripper about 6 mos ago, and I was tempted to buy one but didn't get around to it. If you happen to spot a deal and want to combine orders & split the shipping, PM me. I'll run some cash over to ya. :cool:

Others who have the GRR-Ripper-- did any of you make a specific choice between the GR100 and GR200? Comments/suggestions?

The ToolNut, through Amazon, has free shipping on the 100 for $45.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Gripper-TM-100-Basic-System/dp/B000H53W0I

I mentioned itat dinner as a safety device that I would like to get before too long and LOML asked the obvious question - "And in the mean time?" and directed me to get one right away. :)

I browsed around and see that the upgrade kit can be had for a little over $20 delivered, so if I decide I should have gotten the 200 at some point, that's not too bad.

CarvedTones

Andy
I got an education on the Grrr-Ripper today. No, mine didn't show up on Sunday after a Friday night order. :cool: I followed up an offer to help me from a published jig master in Holly Springs who shall remain nameless ( :rolleyes: :notworthy: :notworthy: ). I think I was definitely steered in the right direction to order the Grrr-Ripper. But for the sake of completeness I wanted to add on my advice for others who get one to enable them to do things on the TS that they weren't comfortable with before. Try to get with someone who has one before using it on your own. There is a checklist of things to do before pushing the stock into the blade. It's not long and it's largely common sense, but just the same... My confidence in being able to use it it to do what I am trying to do and be safe is hgher now.

pviser

New User
paul
Guys, I gotta tell you that I get the shakes just thinking about using a Gripper or any other device to pass directly over the saw blade. I much prefer the use of a system which holds the piece tight to the table and tight to the fence. There are featherboards, Buddy Boards, and other jigs to do this safely.

CarvedTones

Andy
Guys, I gotta tell you that I get the shakes just thinking about using a Gripper or any other device to pass directly over the saw blade. I much prefer the use of a system which holds the piece tight to the table and tight to the fence. There are featherboards, Buddy Boards, and other jigs to do this safely.

Until I used one yesterday, I wasn't so sure about it either. The really odd thing is that the point at which you are pushing it right over the blade is the point at which you are protected from the blade the most. It's a better blade guard than any blade guard I have ever used. I have never been comfortable with ripping, but I had less concern using it than any other method I have tried. I still had concern and was careful; it's not magic.

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks, Andy. I will continue to follow this thread to see what others say and I remain open to trying new approaches. More than anything, I read NCWW to participate in the sharing of ideas: all of us want to produce beautiful things safely.

M

McRabbet

I use featherboards when needed as well and have a pair of Board Buddies (yellow) that I used for several years for safer ripping. They have one big weakness -- a push stick cannot get past the one on the infeed side safely. I even tried using a narrow piece of stock behind the cutoff piece and tried to push it with a push stick past the first Board Buddy, but it can easily pop out of the way. I have every confidence in the GRR-Ripper since it pushs both pieces past the blade so kickback is almost impossible.

TS_Safety_Outfeed.JPG

View image in gallery

reprosser

New User
Rick
...I have every confidence in the GRR-Ripper since it pushs both pieces past the blade so kickback is almost impossible.

Almost - yes. But don't forget to secure the work piece with the second grriper before removing the first grriper when using the over hand feed method. DAMHIKT :eusa_doh:Lucky for me I always stand to the side.

Very pleased with my set of Grripers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS